• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EtchedHourGlass

EtchedHourGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Central Indiana

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

I was going to get an Atlas mount, but I don't have a laptop to run EQMOD, so suddenly I'm thinking about the CGEM.

I'm a beginner and have some questions about mounting my OTA's. With the weight capacity of the CGEM, I started thinking about attaching both my 80mm & c8, about 25 lbs or so, what parts do I need? Do I need more counter weights? If I can't do or get a dual setup, how do I attach a dovetail to the OTA and to the mount or what's the best option? I have tube rings for the 80mm from the eq2 mount. I fail at the search engine here, so thx for any replies.

frontPosted Image backPosted Image

#2 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hello, there are 2 ways to put on your CGEM the 2 OTAS.
One is by piggybacking the 80mm on the C8 and the C8 with a losmandy dovetail on the CGEM.
For piggybacking the 80mm on the C8 i think there is a mini dovetail system being sold by ADM and a similar one by Geoptik.Both are great.
This setup is easy to build, easy to balance,but i it makes your system taller and it will "feel" more some potential sideeffects.

The other way is to put 'em side by side on a plate that gets mounted on the CGEM.
Many companies make these plates,ADM and Geoptik icluded.
This keeps the setup lower to the ground and has some pros from this point of view.It is a litle bit more complicated to balance the system though.
Personally i use my OTAs Side by Side on my CG5 and i'm satisfied.
Here is how i mount them up:
Posted Image
C6+ Equinox 80 ED
I hope this info helps ;)

#3 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Enfield, NS Canada

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

I made a post on my $15 solution, tested it last night and it worked AMAZINGLY!

http://tinyurl.com/4w8c95m

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics