1st Light Zhumell Z12

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Windoze321

Windoze321

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

Hi all, I'm Bill and this is my 1st post.

I got my Zhumell Z12 today and this is my 1st light report.

Well, I waited and waited for the clouds to clear. I had no real way to aim at 1st, so it took awhile to get going at all. I found Saturn and aligned the Telrad as best I could in a hurry. After getting my Mom to take a look, I started looking for other things. (Dew was already setting in as I was fighting a bit of fog from the get go.) I knew I didn't have a whole lot of time (And I don't know the skies that well at all yet.) so I lowered the scope to M4 which was easy to find with the Telrad chart. It was small, but low to the horizon so I'm sure it will be better when I get this thing out to some dark skies! Since I was in the neighborhood, I lifted up to see M80. Even smaller, but I definitely found it. (By this time the Telrad was almost useless and I haven't adjusted the finder scope yet.) I got kinda mad at things when I couldn't find the GREAT nebula in Hercules. Clouds were rolling back in and I decided to stop for the night and give it a go tomorrow. I was looking at M4 and M80 at 50X. Maybe tomorrow I'll throw the Barlow on the Meade 40mm and try them at 70X.

Overall, I knew it wasn't going to be the best night for me, so I'm alright with the way things went. I have collimation issues I will address in a separate thread.

#2 uniondrone

uniondrone

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Streetlight Archipelago

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

Congratulations! You must have been up pretty late to see M4 and M80, or you woke up early. They don't rise until around 2AM and don't reach much of an altitude until even later (at least for the mid-latitudes of the northern hemisphere).

#3 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi Bill and congratulations on a new telescope along with a successful observing session.

#4 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Very nice scope, especially for a first scope. I would try M42 right after dark before it gets any later in the year. The Orion Nebula will look good in a 12" even in light pollution.

#5 graffias79

graffias79

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

It has a very pronounced greenish cast to it if you look at it before the sky is completely dark.

#6 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Mariner 2

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

I've had my Z12 for about 2 weeks now and I love it! It's my second scope, my first being a 4" Meade Goto scope.

You're first observing session was much more productive than mine. I learned that I wasn't nearly as good at finding things as I thought I was.

If you do a search on YouTube for Zhumell Collimation, you'll find a video of a guy collimating a Z10 with a step by step narrative.

Also, if you haven't already heard of it, check out a free program called Stellarium. It's a nice tool to use to learn what's up in your part of the sky at any given time.

-Steve

#7 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

Looking forward to your second light report.

#8 txmnjim

txmnjim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

"and I haven't adjusted the finder scope yet"

Thanks for the report! I havent gotten my finder adjusted
yet either ;-( I saw on the Zhumell website that you somehow grasp the finder and "wiggle" it. Seems harder than
it looks. I have always used a Telrad and they are much easier. Maybe someone w/ a Zhumell finder can chime in
and help us out? I dont know if they are designed poorly or what? Good luck in the future though!
Jim

#9 Coolkid70

Coolkid70

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

It took me a while to figure out how to focus the finderscope and align it with the main scope. The Zhumell documentation is inconveniently silent on this issue!

What part of the finderscope are you trying to adjust?

#10 sgj

sgj

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

I also have a new Z12. On my finder, one of the set screws is spring-loaded so it just holds the finder by compression. It seems a little weird but seems to work. I imagine that I will be re-aligning it each time it gets bumped because it doesn't hold the scope as firmly as a traditional set screw. Also, the focus adjustment for the finder is on the front lense, not the eyepiece, which I've never seen before.

I have a Telrad question though. I would rather not drill holes in my tube to mount it, but the angle of the adhesive tape seems to be designed for smaller diameter tubes. Any suggestions for a fix?

#11 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I have a Telrad mounted on my Z12 using the 4 inch riser. No problems using the double sided tape that comes with it.

#12 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Some have reported the tape failing and letting their Telrads hit the ground. Drilling holes in your tube is not a big deal with 5 minutes of prep. (The Telrad has two holes in its base for mounting bolts.) Contact me via private e-mail if you'd like the tips.

The spring-loaded finder alignment will grow on you. It is VERY much faster to adjust than with 3 or 6 bolts. Slightly more easily bumped but worth it with its speedy correction.

#13 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I mounted my telrad with large zip ties. It works well and is a snap to set up. Just another suggestion if you are unsure about drilling holes.

#14 sgj

sgj

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Thanks Ken and Ken, I'm really glad I found this website. I like the zip tie idea, because if I hard-mounted it now, I'd just be guessing at the best position. Once I get a little experience with the scope I'll take you up on those mounting tips. By the way, that fish is gorgeous! I grew up in S. Dakota, but transplanted to Nevada. You're making me homesick.

#15 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

PM sent.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics