• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 msalganik

msalganik

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Durham, NC

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi everyone! I just received a G-11 mount head with an illuminated polar scope. The illuminator is a thread in type that has a cord with a audio jack styled plug (male) and a holder for two AA-batteries with the corresponding female plug. The battery holder looked flimsy to begin with and arrived broken in two. Rather than try and glue it I was wondering if I could just buy a 12v DC plug (cigarette lighter type) with a corresponding female jack from Radio Shack and power the illuminator off of my kendrick power pack? Would this burn out the little illuminator or would it be fine? Thanks for any insight :bow:

#2 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

A possibility and JUST a possibility.

My new G-11 came with a cordless and variable brightness illuminator. Not sure if Losmandy sell it separately or not but AT also offers a similar illuminator that looks like the male end is the same as that on the one Losmandy supplies.

Not sure. Have a look.

#3 Stan Feather

Stan Feather

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

The two AA batteries only supply 3V (1.5V each), so a 12V supply wired directly to the LED is not going to work.

As mentioned in another response, there is also a new design for the illuminator. I've seen it for sale on the Losmandy website.

#4 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

[quote
As mentioned in another response, there is also a new design for the illuminator. I've seen it for sale on the Losmandy website. [/quote]

Although there indeed is an illuminator listed and shown on the Losmandy site(the "PSI" $40), it bears no resemblance at all to the one that shipped with my G-11 in February.

However the one with the external battery pack and wires seems a thing of the past.

#5 msalganik

msalganik

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

the new one that's sold by losmandy appears to be a push in since I don't seen any threads so would it even be compatible with the older style polar scopes? Also, a bit of a silly question but where is the battery in the new illuminator? It looks so darn skinny that I don't even see how a watch battery would fit into it.

#6 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

Max:

I have no idea just what that thing on the Losmandy site is but it does not at all resemble the actual thing being supplied with their polar scope recently.

A picture of what they are selling now is here.

#7 msalganik

msalganik

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

lol... ok that looks more like it... i actually got a hold of Scott Losmandy and he said the current one would work with my polar scope; seeing your picture that make a lot more sense. I also contacted Astronomics about the AT illuminator and they said that they doubt they're compatible (though not 100% on that)... I think in the short term I'll just glue that battery holder on the one I have b/c I still need to purchase a few other things and then in a few months maybe I'll get the newer illuminator from Losmandy... Stan and Terry thanks for your help :)

#8 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

Nice back drop for that picture of the illuminator Terry! I'm sure Uncle Rod will appreciate it! ;)

#9 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

Nice back drop for that picture of the illuminator Terry! I'm sure Uncle Rod will appreciate it! ;)

:grin:

#10 Stan Feather

Stan Feather

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:38 PM

Looks like Radio Shack has these for about $2, so don't waste too much time on repair.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062252

#11 Steve OK

Steve OK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

I agree with Stan...get a new holder! American Science and Surplus has 'em (3 for $3.50) and Surplus Shed has one for "C" cells, which would work just fine (1 for $0.25). A trip to Radio Shack is in order!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics