Using Celestron GPS module on CG-5

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brandon, Mississippi

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:09 AM

I've never done alignment with CG-5. I have a CPC 925 with GPS, and that alignment is strait forward. How does the CG-5 compare alone and does adding the GPS module make a lot of difference? Thanks-
Bruce

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

Bruce,

HC setup and alignment procedures with the CG-5 are similar to the Alt Az scopes so you'll feel quite comfortable ... the difference is that you'll have to input time and location info each time you do an initial alignment. The other difference is that you can use calibration stars to improve your initial alignments.

IMHO no the GPS doesn't add enough value for me to be worth the money. Yes it's useful and saves a little bit of time but for me it's not enough to warrant buying one. I set my location from lat/long taken from Google Earth and I don't travel around very much. My time is from a cell phone (so accuracy of less than a minute). Using these procedures and a 2 + 4 star alignment my CG-5 has similar goto accuracy as my CGE (which is very good), every object is in the fov of a medium power eyepiece.

#3 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

From what I have read the GPS options are only worthwhile when you use a scope in many different locations.
All IMO; Don T.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

I've never done alignment with CG-5. I have a CPC 925 with GPS, and that alignment is strait forward. How does the CG-5 compare alone and does adding the GPS module make a lot of difference? Thanks-
Bruce

No. It saves you having to type in time and lat/lon, but that is it.

#5 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brandon, Mississippi

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

Mark, Don, and Rod,
Thanks for the input. Ya'll all seem to be in agreement. I've even got a handheld Garmin GPS that will give me all the #'s if that's the case, then all I'll have to do is input these via hand control. Thanks again-
Bruce

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics