Dual dovetail invention

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

I often wondered why no one else has come up with a dual dovetail (Losmandy AND Vixen). I came up with this idea about 4 or 5 years ago and wanted to market it but, alas, never had the resources to do so. After purchasing a cheap milling machine 5 years ago i started messing around with some ideas and came up with this one.

I'm actually surprised ADM has not tried this out as Anthony came up with the dual saddle which is an excellent idea IMO.

I figured i'd post it here as i'd at least like a little credit for coming up with the idea and the members here will know I invented it first.

There's not much of a market for telescope mount dovetails and nothing in this area is really patented so if somebody copies it then they copy it, not really worried too much about that. Just wanted to get a little credit for it.

Anyway, i wanted a dovetail that i could use on both Losmandy and Vixen type saddles so i went to work on this 12" long dual dovetail. It won't work on long Vixen saddles but for the average LXD, CG-5, GP, etc it works just fine as well as all Losmandy saddles longer that 4".

It's kind of crude, as i mentioned, the milling machine i own is a low end model.

Here are some pics:

Attached Files

#2 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

Vixen mode:

Attached Files

#3 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

Another angle:

Attached Files

#4 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

Underside:

Attached Files

#5 Krish Mandal

Krish Mandal

Mariner 2

• Loc: Forest Hills, NY

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

Jason, that's a nice idea. I think you should talk to ADM about putting that on their list of offerings and maybe they'll give you some nominal monetary recompense for licensing the design.

I don't think you should just give up the idea to whomever walks on by, but it's pretty creative and people who want it should be able to get it for a price. Granted, you probably won't sell too many of these except to those who own both types of scopes, but it could become a staple in years to come, who knows.

I had an idea like yours once, but involving a clamping mechanism for dovetails so it doesn't get marred up. But alas, I'm too late, as ADM and others have already done it.

#6 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

Thank you, Krish. I did contact ADM. Maybe Anthony will send me a few trinkets for the idea. ;)

#7 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

Jason, excellent idea, and execution.

#8 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

I'd only use it for longer losmandy saddles since in that picture you're putting all the clamping stress on the weakest area of the part.... but I like this idea!

#9 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

Nice! Very cool idea...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics