CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How Hard is it to Remove OTA from CPC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

How difficult is it to remove OTA from CPC 925, then use on an EQ mount? I'd want a GoTo mount that's sturdy enough for basic AP but each component isn't too heavy, and it's gotta be reasonable? Any ideas or am I delusional? Thanks-
Bruce

#2 George Methvin

George Methvin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

Sorry I have never done that to a CPC but I have removed a 10 sct ota from a LX50 mount and it was not that hard.

#3 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

http://www.celestron...barticleid=2412

Peter

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

Bruce,

Your thinking about smaller lighter components is sound. It's not too hard at all to de fork a CPC925, but it's generally considered a one way trip. You'll only need basic tools ... a good set of imperial allen wrenches (the one for the plastic covers is not a popular size) and a large Phillips head screw driver, and a bit of care. You have to loosen one of the fork arms from the base a little bit so you can spread the fork arms as you remove the ota. A blanket and an extra pair of hands are usually a good ideas too.

Then buy a good Losmandy D type plate and radius blocks for the C925 (Losmandy or ADM) and mount it on your favourite gem. Remember that the Atlas/EQ-6 mounts have a smaller Vixen compatible saddle (can be upgraded ... see ADM) and while Celestron does sell a C925 with this smaller mounting dovetail bar it's not generally considered a great setup ... the wider and more robust Losmandy D type plate is preferred with the C925 ota.

One other thing to consider ... you'll never really get a good price for the forks/base so unless your CPC has exceptional optics I would consider selling it complete and buying a C925 ota.

#5 charles1317

charles1317

I See Stars

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

Mark, why is this considered a one way trip?

Thanks

#6 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Mounting up (at least a Meade which I've done) and getting it squared up again takes a bit of doing. I agree with mark that the forks alone aren't gonna bring much accept as parts. Not a lot of folks buying OTA alone and putting them into fork mounts. :)

If you sell it all and buy just an OTA you may do better. Unless as he said the optics in that tube are something extra special (which is possible).

I can be done, but if you go back and don't do it correctly you or someone you sell it to later will have a devil of a time with pointing accuracy... FWIW... Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics