How Hard is it to Remove OTA from CPC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brandon, Mississippi

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

How difficult is it to remove OTA from CPC 925, then use on an EQ mount? I'd want a GoTo mount that's sturdy enough for basic AP but each component isn't too heavy, and it's gotta be reasonable? Any ideas or am I delusional? Thanks-
Bruce

#2 George Methvin

George Methvin

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

Sorry I have never done that to a CPC but I have removed a 10 sct ota from a LX50 mount and it was not that hard.

#3 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

http://www.celestron...barticleid=2412

Peter

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

Bruce,

Your thinking about smaller lighter components is sound. It's not too hard at all to de fork a CPC925, but it's generally considered a one way trip. You'll only need basic tools ... a good set of imperial allen wrenches (the one for the plastic covers is not a popular size) and a large Phillips head screw driver, and a bit of care. You have to loosen one of the fork arms from the base a little bit so you can spread the fork arms as you remove the ota. A blanket and an extra pair of hands are usually a good ideas too.

Then buy a good Losmandy D type plate and radius blocks for the C925 (Losmandy or ADM) and mount it on your favourite gem. Remember that the Atlas/EQ-6 mounts have a smaller Vixen compatible saddle (can be upgraded ... see ADM) and while Celestron does sell a C925 with this smaller mounting dovetail bar it's not generally considered a great setup ... the wider and more robust Losmandy D type plate is preferred with the C925 ota.

One other thing to consider ... you'll never really get a good price for the forks/base so unless your CPC has exceptional optics I would consider selling it complete and buying a C925 ota.

#5 charles1317

charles1317

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

• Loc: Olympia, Wa USA

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

Mark, why is this considered a one way trip?

Thanks

#6 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Mounting up (at least a Meade which I've done) and getting it squared up again takes a bit of doing. I agree with mark that the forks alone aren't gonna bring much accept as parts. Not a lot of folks buying OTA alone and putting them into fork mounts. :)

If you sell it all and buy just an OTA you may do better. Unless as he said the optics in that tube are something extra special (which is possible).

I can be done, but if you go back and don't do it correctly you or someone you sell it to later will have a devil of a time with pointing accuracy... FWIW... Joe

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics