CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Favorite Viewing Sites

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#226 fsolis89

fsolis89

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: South Texas, USA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

South Texas.  Family ranch is about 55 miles north of Laredo and 70 miles south of San Antonio along I-35.

Pretty dark country skies and great for galaxy viewing! Some MOOs in the distance. :D

clear skies.

#227 gmartin02

gmartin02

Apollo

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:44 AM

Just observed from one of my favorite spots: Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station in Hawaii (9200 ft elevation).

First time viewing there since 1991. Here is a pic from January 3rd showing my airline travel setup: 6" Mak.

Attached File  telescope_processed.jpg   228.11KB   6 downloads

Almost no star twinkle on that night. I was able to see the Tarantula Nebula (really washed out) only about 1.5 degrees above the horizon, along with a couple of other NGCs in the LMC that were a little higher above the horizon.

#228 robosharkatlanticron

robosharkatlanticron

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

Two favorites at the moment!

Duxbury Beach, Duxbury Ma.

Singing Beach, Manchester-By-the-Sea

#229 james adams

james adams

Lift Off

• Loc: La Honda, CA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:11 AM

My wife and I are considering a trip to the southwest this spring and would like to do some observing in dark locations below 7500' elevation. We'll be in an RV. What can you folks suggest? Thanks!

#230 gmartin02

gmartin02

Apollo

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

My wife and I are considering a trip to the southwest this spring and would like to do some observing in dark locations below 7500' elevation. We'll be in an RV. What can you folks suggest? Thanks!

Around where in the southwest (what states and what areas) will you be travelling to? 

#231 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Mariner 2

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

Maveric Ranch RV resort in Lajitas, Texas.  It is right between Big Bend National  Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park.  It is a Dark Sky community (Bortle 1) and the RV park requests people turn off their outside lights by 9 PM.  I am there right now at the Casitas in Lajitas RV rally.  I have enjoyed showing the participants the moon and a few deep sky objects and we are planning a 6am gathering to look at the planet lineup at dawn.

Attached File  Casitas-in-Lajitas_JL-sm.jpg   161.28KB   2 downloads

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#232 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Mariner 2

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

The Davis Mountains State Park near Ft Davis Texas and McDonald observatory is another great Dark Sky Park  just a mile or so from the site of TSP.  DMSP is my favorite park in the Texas State Park system.  I have been going there since the 70s.

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#233 mogur

mogur

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WI

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

I gotta move to Texas when I retire! :cool:

#234 Cdp347

Cdp347

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

Does anyone know any good veiwing locations for a Maryland observer? Live too close to cities near baltimore. The light pollution is terrible.

#235 Sam M

Sam M

Explorer 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

Does anyone know any good veiwing locations for a Maryland observer? Live too close to cities near baltimore. The light pollution is terrible.

I like the Dickey Ridge visitors center on Skyline Drive.  Pretty good for under two hours from DC.  

Closer to Charm City, you might check out Howard Astronomical League, or Westminster Astronomical Society. 

Let us know what you find.

• Cdp347 likes this

#236 Cdp347

Cdp347

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

I like the Dickey Ridge visitors center on Skyline Drive. Pretty good for under two hours from DC.

Closer to Charm City, you might check out Howard Astronomical League, or Westminster Astronomical Society.

Let us know what you find.

HAL is perfect for me! It's only 20 minutes from my location and they have a good park to view from publicly, however they do have member events there in which they let begginners try and view from their equiment. I appreciate the assistances Sam M.
  • Sam M likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics