CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Favorite Viewing Sites

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#201 JHGIII

JHGIII

Vostok 1

• Loc: Barker's Bluff Observatory, 34' -87'

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

Was just at DeSoto park adjacent to Little River Canyon for Christmas. All I had with me were my 10x70 Fuji's but the sky was great on top of Lookout Mountain. Double cluster and several Messier's were naked eye visible. Rooms at the Lodge (motel) are comfortable and sub $100, breakfast included. The CCC vintage cabins and newer Chalets are sub $150, boast full kitchens plus one free breakfast. Park is clean and quiet. Lots of day trip stuff to do for family if you choose to make it a weekend.

Prefer the Atacama, but LRC is more convenient and cheaper :lol: .

Must say favorite regular spot is back yard. Finished observatory late Summer 2014 and have been Loving the opportunity to pop out for an hour or two. Observing time has gone up dramatically. Hmm it's just like they say, "Best scope/site is the one that gets used the most".

Attached Files

• joaoba likes this

#202 Procyon

Procyon

Soyuz

• Loc: North Eastern Canada

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:33 PM

Wow, very nice pictures and scenery, I wish I could set up and observe from there!!

#203 slothead

slothead

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick, Maryland, USA

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:42 PM

Jon
Great Stuff! These are the kinds of gems I had in mind!

Tom and Joe...

Here's a photo of the Valley of the Gods. I imagine when you are on the east coast it is hard to imagine places like this exist... maybe they help keep the dream alive, they do for me.

Jon

Jon, Which brand of viewing chair is there beside your purple ghost?

#204 SkyCruzr

SkyCruzr

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:31 PM

There is a new site being developed in New Mexico called the Cosmic Campground.  I plan to go  out to check it out sometime in the spring.  Looks like a great spot.

https://sites.google...nformation/home

We are planning a trip to NM in the next week or so. We just may have to wander by this place!  Thanks for the link.

#205 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vostok 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

There is a new site being developed in New Mexico called the Cosmic Campground.  I plan to go  out to check it out sometime in the spring.  Looks like a great spot.

We are planning a trip to NM in the next week or so. We just may have to wander by this place!  Thanks for the link.

I hope to make it to the Cosmic Campground at the new moon in April. Please post pictures and such after your visit.  "Curious minds want to know" (o:

Maybe we can have an impromptu star party.  I call them "NoWhere Star Parties" or "NSP" cause they are in the middle of nowhere which is where I like em.

The last NSP I had was at the Datil Well Campground which is another great astronomy spot in NM.

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Casita-Freak

#206 Doug McI

Doug McI

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Houghton, MI

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

The cosmic campground is a wonderful place to view.  It has a pit toilet and plenty of room to setup up scope and camper.  It doesn't have water or power!  It's in a black zone around 6200 feet in elevation.  The nearest anything is around 15 miles away.

#207 SkyCruzr

SkyCruzr

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

Ah yes....this is where I learned about the cosmic campground. I was there a little over a week ago. I wanted to reply in the thread where I learned about it but couldn't remember which one it was. did not get to observe from there as it was cloudy the whole time we were in that part of the state. According to their website, it is about 5300' elevation. I posted a report about what I learned while there  http://www.cloudynig...mic-campground/

#208 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

At my cabin (~3000ft)  in North Central WA State roughly between the little towns of Tonasket and Republic.

IMGP1357

• maugi88 and Duxrule like this

#209 Stargazer713

Stargazer713

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

I spend a good bit of my summer in southern Delaware near the shore. While being near the shore line present some other issues the skies are really dark as there is no major city within a hundred miles. the skies are much better than light polluted NJ.

#210 Kidastronomer

Kidastronomer

Apollo

• Loc: Nassau County, Long Island, NY

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

The backyard is now my favorite spot. I can stay out all night if I wanted to. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics