Photo

Weight of STELLARVUE MG2 & Vixen PORTAs?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 neveruseforever

neveruseforever

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

STELLARVUE MG2 ---- ?
Vixen MINI PORTA ---- about 1kg?
Vixen PORTA II ---- about 2kg?

Could someone who owns or knows the detail of these mounts tell me what are their self-weight excluding the tripod? I didn't find any description about MG2's weight. For Vixen, their website only provided weight including tripod (The numbers I wrote above is from some owner's estimation but are very vague).

Thanks for any help.

#2 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

My MG2 is currently set up on a tripod with scope attached and I don't want to break it down right now to weigh it, but I'll say it's a pretty hefty mount probably in the neighborhood of 4-5 kg (9-11 lbs) plus the weight of of a couple of saddles. I know it weighs more than my Tak Teegul and certainly a lot more than Portamount. I've had in excess of 20 lbs on the MG2 (with a very solid tripod) and it will handle that load very well which is a lot more than you can put on a Porta. IMO they're in a different class.

Phil

#3 Robert Fink

Robert Fink

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:42 AM

I agree with Phill on the weight of the MG2, but it is still quite portable. It is a very smooth mount, and Vic encouraged me to take it to its weight limits. I'm going to mount a SV105 and an older and much lighter, by today's standards, SCT 8. The SCT 8 weighs a lb or 2 less than my SV105. The total weight with accessories will be approaching 30 lbs. I'll let everyone know how this works under the stars tonight, but in some preliminaries, it has worked quite well.

#4 a_adam

a_adam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

The Porta 2 is slightly above 2kg. I can't be more precise because I use it in a slightly different configuration, with two additional adapters attached, which make the Porta head 2.5kg in my case.

Hope this helps.

-André

#5 neveruseforever

neveruseforever

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for all the helps!
Phill, does "a couple of saddles" mean dovetail female adapters? If including them, would 5kg be a good estimation?
Sorry to bother again. Since I'm making a list of alt-az mounts which have micro-adjustment, I need these data in the list. Even vague estimation is better than no data.

#6 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

I've got a small Berlebach vixen-style saddle on the smaller end of the mount and a rather heavy Takahashi Losmandy style saddle on the main end for a larger scope. Five Kg would probably be a good estimate give or take 0.5 Kg.

Phil

#7 Krish Mandal

Krish Mandal

Mariner 2

• Loc: Forest Hills, NY

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Funny how I was just about to ask about the MG2 and someone beat me to it. But if other can also comment on the "package" SV is selling for $499 with the aluminum tripod? I plan to put a Meade 8-in SCT and an AT90 on it.

Do you think the aluminum tripod will suffice? The AT90 is about 12 lbs, plus my AT finder about 2 lbs. The Meade is about 6-8 lbs, depending on the diag.

#8 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

Krish,

Can't comment on the aluminum tripod but I've got mine on the Sv maple tripod and it's a very nice combo. I have my Intes M6511 on the "heavy" side and an SV80APO LOMO on the other side and the combo works very well. I've had this mount/tripod combo loaded with well over 20#s and it works great--visual of course.

With an alt-az mount a lot of what's acceptable is determined by your tolerance for damping time. Some of us get cranky if it's 0.5 seconds...others are fine with 2 seconds. IMO the MG2 definitely puts you in the lower zone.

Hope this might help...

You might want to call Vic and discuss your specific scope combo with him...I'm sure he can give you some pearls of wisdom on this.

Phil

#9 Krish Mandal

Krish Mandal

Mariner 2

• Loc: Forest Hills, NY

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

It's been a while since I came back to this since I lost sight of it. I had to google to find it. Anyway, Phil thanks for the input.

I'm wringing my hands between placing an order for the MG2 (will call and talk with Vic before doing so) and placing an order for the Giro 2 deluxe.

Any opinions between the two?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics