CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroTrac TH3010 fluid head ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew Greenwood

Andrew Greenwood

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hello everyone

I have been looking at a secondhand AstroTrac TH3010 fluid head. I have noticed that when the azimuth locking bolt is unlocked, the whole upper part of the TH3010 lifts off the base. Is this normal? It gave me a little fright because I wondered how safe it would be. I also noticed when locking the bolt again the upper unit 'pulls down' as the tension is increased. If you have a target framed, this will affect its position. I used to have a Mini Giro head, which even when unlocked in azimuth, the unit did not separate.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

#2 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

I noticed that with mine also. I think they should have put a groove in the male part for the screw to go into, that way when you loosen it off, it is still captive. Same deal as the groove in a TV eyepiece.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics