CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MG2 Mount put through the test

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Robert Fink

Robert Fink

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

Last night, I mounted my SV105 and my Polarstar SCT8 on this mount. During the day I had vertically aligned them. The weight on the mount with accessories approached thirty pounds. The mount moved very smoothly to places that I pointed, and the fine tune knobs worked precisely. I went to the crescent moon and dialed up the magnification. With fine tune adjustments there was a slight vibration, but this dampened away in less than a half a second. It was incredible comparing the views. Because the seeing was not exceptional, I could not take full advantage of the SCT's higher magnification. Side by side, the better optics of my SV105 was very apparent. I found Armstrong's crater in both but the SV105 showed it much sharper. In the SCT8 there was a hint of the center obstruction as a shadow. Tonight, I will attempt to align them horizontally. They are already close. In low power the moon was in the SV105's FOV while I had it centered on SCT8.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics