LXD-75 vs CG-5

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jz02879

jz02879

Messenger

• Loc: North East PA

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

Just wondering which is better, I have only owned the LXD-75.

Would the CG-5 be better for astrophotogrophy because it has an autoguider port?

Thanks, jz

#2 badaboom

badaboom

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

imo there both good goto visual mounts. i havnt tried the auto guide. if thats going to be something you want to try then id go with the celestron.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

Would the CG-5 be better for astrophotogrophy because it has an autoguider port?

Thanks, jz

Depends on your setup. If you'll be operating without a PC and using a standalone guider (ST-4, NexGuide) then you'll need the autoguide port. In the much more common setups using a PC-controlled guide camera (SBIG, Meade, Point Grey, Imaging Source, QSI, Atik, Orion, pretty much everyone else) you may as well use the serial port on either mount for guiding.

#4 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

What about for just general use, which mount is better? I'm thinking about a 6-inch Meade or Celestron refractor and it seems to me most people end up upgrading their mounts that these scopes come with. Should I base my purchase on the whole setup or just consider the OTA and focus on a mount later? At this point, I'm strictly a visual observer.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

What about for just general use, which mount is better? I'm thinking about a 6-inch Meade or Celestron refractor and it seems to me most people end up upgrading their mounts that these scopes come with. Should I base my purchase on the whole setup or just consider the OTA and focus on a mount later? At this point, I'm strictly a visual observer.

They are similar mounts. But...its the CG5 by a nose or three.

IMHO the Nexstar HC is better--more user friendly and better in build quality (the Autostar buttons invariably stop responding well after a while). And you can use NexRemote with the scope. Also, while I am told it is better now, I still hear too many problem reports on the 75.

#6 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thanks, Rod, that's good to know. I have a Nexstar 11 and so I'm guessing the learning curve would be shorter for me if I purchased the CG-5. The less stress the better.

#7 Alterf

Alterf

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

I'll second what Uncle Rod says. I had the LXD 75 and had a difficult time getting it to autoguide. Even when I had assembled all the parts to allow it to talk to the computer, the play in the gears and the roughness in the worm and gears made all but short focal length imaging difficult. But I've watched a CG-5 work relatively painlessly. You still may have to do some fixing, but the mount will be closer to start with for what is needed for imaging. The Sirius mount from Orion is closer still, though, and should work out of the box and with more weight. It's an even better bet.

Val

#8 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

Val, thanks for the insight. I hadn't given the Sirius mount equal consideration. One more avenue to explore.

#9 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:12 PM

Royce, if you dont mind paying 1100 for Sirius, why not consider Atlas for 1400? Atlas is the best value in >1000 <2000 range. The only issue with it is that it is heavy.
Btw, if all what you want to do is visual, then CG5 or LXD would work just fine.

Alex

#10 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

Alex, good advice. I have also been considering a CGEM. I used to have a Vixen SP and sold it because GEM's are somewhat of a nuisance for visual observing and I love the simplicity of an alt/az. However, alt/az mounts can only support so much and a six-inch refractor is a little much for them, the exception maybe being a T-Rex or DiscMount. But I love the thought of a drive system and would also like to get into imaging someday. So I wanted to "pick the brains" of those in the forum because there's no substitute for experience. Money helps, but I don't have a lot of that, either.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics