Astroview mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Thanks to Duncan and everyone else in this forum who helped me solve the riddle of the "inert" Astroview mount I bought on Astromart. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the unit, just my inability to hear or see any movement of the motors. But I could feel them and feel them change with the push of a button. My one remaining question is where should the rate button be set for normal sidereal tracking? Once again thanks to everyone.

Michael :waytogo:

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

What do you mean by rate button? The rates available on some mounts but not all are sidereal, lunar, solar and King. But most just have a switch that sets it for northern or southern hemisphere and buttons for centering or guiding like 2x, 4x, 8x,16x etc.

#3 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the reply, Nippon, but I've been slow to understand this set-up (too many cold nights!). I finally understand the whole mechanics of this rig (that the rate switch is just what you are referring to.)
Michael

#4 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

You are most welcome. I have the Celestron version of the mount called a CG4. I have a single axis Orion Astroview drive on it due to the fact that Celestron only offers a dual axis drive. I use my visually only with an 85mm apo and they are great small mounts.

#5 Duncan Kitchin

Duncan Kitchin

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Beaverton, OR, USA

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Thanks to Duncan and everyone else in this forum who helped me solve the riddle of the "inert" Astroview mount I bought on Astromart. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the unit, just my inability to hear or see any movement of the motors. But I could feel them and feel them change with the push of a button. My one remaining question is where should the rate button be set for normal sidereal tracking? Once again thanks to everyone.

Michael :waytogo:

That's great - glad to hear everything is ok. :waytogo:

For just normal tracking, the rate switch doesn't make any difference. It only changes the rate at which it moves when you press the buttons.

Bear in mind the setup is really targeted at a couple of different uses:

1. Using the hand control to do manual guiding, so the assumption is that you're staring at something with a double crosshair eyepiece and trying to keep it inside the box manually; the setting is then really just a personal preference, but you'd probably want 1x. I also hacked mine to put in an autoguiding port, in which case you definitely want 1x

2. Minor adjustments of view for visual use. In this case, you're probably going to want 8x.

Regards & Clear Skies
Duncan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics