Teegul problem, Help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

• Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Is there any way to make the altitude motions of the Teegul a bit smoother?

I've got no problem with the azimuth axis, but the altitude one is a killer.All of a sudden it got real stiff without my doing anything out of the ordinary. I've used some lubricant spray without major improvement though.

Has anybody had a similar problem ,and how did you rectify it?

Thanks you in advance for any input here.

George

#2 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

George,

Bummer! I've owned several Teeguls over the years and have noticed a slight variation in alt smoothness. The one I currently have is extremely smooth with easy movement and no stiction whatsoever. And I've never been able to figure out exactly how to adjust them.

My suggestion would be to contact Texas Nautical (US distributor for Tak) and discuss the issue with them. I had one copy of the Teegul that had very stiff azimuth movement and they simply replaced the whole mount for me. Nice folks!

Phil

#3 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

http://www.cloudynig...php?item_id=599
The TeeGull upgrade known round the world :)

Joe

#4 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

Thanks Phil,

I sent an email to Texas Nautical specifying the problem. Lets hope they reply before I get hold of my neighbor's sledgehammer !

I'm that *BLEEP* off!

George

#5 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

Joe--All the Tak Teeguls are now upgraded with the Lapides modification. The problem with the older model was an issue with damping out vibration--wasn't so good. The Lapides mod improved this aspect tremendously.

George--Good luck in solving the alt movement issue. Let us know how your dealings with Texas Nautical progress.

Phil

#6 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

Phil,
I didn't know that ty. Is that only for the Alt/Az or is the sky patrol also beefed up?
Joe

#7 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hi Joe,

The Lapides mod only applies to the Teegul Alt Az mount. I've never used the Sky Patrol but I think it's primarily oriented to smaller (<80mm) scopes. Perhaps someone who's used one can chime in here and give us some education on that mount--looks nice!

Phil

#8 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

Have you taken it apart?
If the motion is that bad, it is not a matter of lubrication.

#9 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

Agree with David here--doesn't sound like an issue with lubrication but rather with the gear clearance adjustment. I've figured out how to make these adjustments on other alt-az mounts but not on the Teegul. Seems there ought to be a way!?? :confused:

BTW, Hi David!

Phil

#10 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

No David, I haven't taken it apart, nor am I willing to do so,to tell you the truth.

For some inexplicable reason it has gone back to normal without doing any magic or anything.The whole Teegul thing is more like an X- Files episode, not knowing what's gonna happen next. Will it work today or not?

I guess " the truth is out there ", unless one comes up with a permanent solution to the problem.

George

#11 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: Florida

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:41 AM

Could the movements have something to do with environmental conditions since they've seemingly mysteriously returned to normal? Did the stiffer movements show-up when using the mount in colder (or warmer)conditions?

- Jay
South Florida

#12 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Not really Jay. There was no difference in temperature (outside/inside), nor was it cold outside to make me think that it " went into shock " or something. Your assumption would make a lot of sense though. I wish that were the case, but I guess the problem must be more skin (or metal in this case ) deep.

Just hope it doesn't happen again,because I have picked 50% of my telescopic arsenal ( TV 85, Solarmax 60, Skywatcher 80ED with Lunt Herschel wedge and Skywatcher 100mmED ) with the Teegul in mind.

By the way, XLNT sketches Jay :bow: :bow:

George

#13 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:51 PM

George,

I was just thinking about this intermittant issue you're dealing with. I had a Stellarvue MG for awhile prior to getting the MG2--both a somewhat similar to the Teegul in design. After a good while of operating without any issue, the MG all of a sudden got very stiff and ratchety/rough in the alt movement. After puzzling about this, I decided to disassemble the mount and see what was going on. It appeared that the bearing surface was either being marred very slightly by the tension screw and/or the bearing surfaces had some small anomolies and some very fine metal shavings were grating against the bearing surfaces. I carefully cleaned the bearing surfaces along with the gear mechanism, liberally lubed the whole assembly, and reassembled it. Worked like new and never had another problem.

Don't know if your problem with the Teegul might have a similar similar root, but at least it's something to think about. Be interesting to hear what Texas Nautical says.

Phil

#14 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:41 AM

Phil,

Good to hear that you were able to sort things out with your mount, and fix it after all.In my case though, the little screws visible to the eye, are embedded to the point that I can't really tell the kind of screws I have to tinker with. Not that I would try taking it apart without being sure 100% that I can put it back together. The screw heads look so delicate that any excessive force would definitely mar them. As a consequence , any future technician would have a hard time fixing it , if I decided to " MacGyverize " it.

As far as Texas Nautical Repairs go, there has been no reply yet.

George

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics