• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

• Loc: Okanagan Valley

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hi all,
I have a G 11 that has been giving me grief, I have had both motors fixed and bought new cables for them.
Today I finally put them all together and now the HC seems to be acting up.
I can enter the info I need for a cold start fine, but I am unable to make the mount move in any direction with it.
I started Gemini.net and it moves the mount, I then started a planetary program and it moved the mount just fine.
I should add that the HC is telling me when it's centering and finished when the programs are controlling it and the coordinates but will not move the mount when the directional buttons are pushed.
I don't understand how this can be, unless I have missed something in the setup.
Any suggestions? :help:

#2 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

Are the cables you replaced G11 cables or from the radio shack or something? Some are reversed. Take the old HC cable and hold the 2 ends next to each other. Look at the colored wires inside. Are they matching or reverse of each other. When you replace a cable it has to match the old one (i.e. reading left to right or reverse of each other). Next take you new cable and do the same. Do the same with the motor cables as well. Not sure if that is the issue but I thought I remeber mine being phone plug RJ-45 or 11 cables. I just can't remeber if they are reversed or normal cables.

Joe

#3 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

the cables came from Losmandy, they were just the motor cables, I havn't replaced the HC cable (yet!!!) the hard part to understand is how the HC is half working.

#4 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

Try another hand controller cable, it may have a broken wire, it happens.
Blueman

#5 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

If the cables came from Losmandy you're good there. Any reason ya didn't order a HC cable as well :)

Are the the same? If so, you could switch them out and see if the problem moves. Not sure if they're all 4 or 6 pin and reversed/non-reversed. Just a thought. Joe

#6 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:58 PM

Did you try a complete system reset? Just open up Gemini and pull the battery and leave it out for at least 10 minutes. I left mine out for a half hour just to make sure.

You'll have to enter all of your mount's parameters and your location, etc, but it may just be a hiccup in the firmware that needs rebooted.

David

#7 saadabbasi

saadabbasi

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 29N

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

Make sure that your Hand Controller is NOT set to Photographic Mode. The HC has 3 modes:

1) Visual (you can move at Centering and Slewing speeds)
2) Photo (you can move at guding and centering but NOT slewing)
3) Allspeeds ( you can move at all three)

I just prefer having the handset at All Speeds so I don't have to keep switching between Visual/Photographic mode.

Note that you will have to press the back key to make Gemini step up to the next speed. For instance, if you press RA+ its going to move in RA+ at Guiding Rate. Keep pressing RA+ and press RA- once, Gemini will step upto Centereing Speed. Press RA- again (while keeping RA+ pressed) and then the mount will move upto Slewing speed.

You can change your HC mode by going into Setup -> Hand Controller.

Good luck and please update us!

#8 lightyear44

lightyear44

Apollo

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

+1. What Saad said. -David.

#9 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Thanks guys,
I bought this mount about a year ago, and haven't been able to use it yet.
The first night I set up the R/A motor didn't work right, went thru all the cable tests and determined it was the encoders on the motor, sent it off to Losmandy, about a 2 month turn around with the mail system across the border.
After I received the R/A motor back and installed it, the Dec motor started the same thing. It worked when I was testing the other motor. So off it went for another 2 months, add a little life and some lousy weather and maybe 3-4 months have gone by.
Now I'm eager to get out and see how the mount works (it an upgrade from an Atlas), this time the R/A cable seems to be the issue, so I order both cables, and your right Joe, I should have recognized the way things were progressing and ordered a HC cable then also, but I kinda hoped it was FIXED!!!
I went down to Mesa for a few months and while I was there I picked up an Ovision worm for the mount, just got back home, installed the worm, hooked it up with the new cables and now the HC.
I'm not very proficient with the Gemini system yet, (haven't had a chance to use it much yet) but I will look at what Saad said and set it to All speeds.
This could be the issue, when you think that the HC works in setting up the mount after a cold start ( from a reboot )and also works with Gemini.net (where I set it to slew speed).
If your still reading, thanks for letting me rant and here's hoping.

#10 Gardner

Gardner

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

Very true. If you are in photo mode you are trying to slew at guide rate. Make sure you are in visual mode or all speeds.

When imaging my preference is to put the HC in visual mode while setting up and then switch to photo mode before I start guider calibration. Easy to do using the menu button.

#11 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

I'd weigh in with +1 to Saad, David and Gardner's advice:

1) do a full reset, pull the CR2016 battery and leave it out for 10 minutes

2) then replace it with a fresh, brand new one (when this batter gets low, really weird stuff happens - literally just happened to me 3 nights ago and that was MY problem)

3) I always leave my handset speed set to all 3 speeds; simpler since sometimes I need to guide, and others visual...

HTH

#12 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

thanks,
The battery that is in it is a Panasonic cr2354 560mAh, do you guys use the Duracell cr2016 90mAh.
Does it matter?

#13 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:10 AM

Battery in mine is a CR 2032. Should be the same number regardless of the maker - at 3v. Maybe that's the problem?

#14 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

That's what I was wondering, they are all 3v batteries but have different mAh, if that makes a difference.
Hopefully someone that knows will join in.

#15 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

Mine had been sent in late last summer for "servicing" post my "traumatic" lightning strike "event"... when I received it back from HGM, it had a CR2016 in it... so, that's what I've been using...

That said, the EE in me says that ANY battery of the same form factor, and having the same nominal 3VDC should also work, independent of the mAH rating... (more meaning it'd last longer)...

But, perhaps this is a question for the Losmandy tech support folks for direct confirmation?

Note that a CR2016 is about 1/2 the thickness of a CR 2032, but same voltage...

:question:

#16 MikeCatfin

MikeCatfin

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

According to the Gemini manual, the "newer" Gemini 1 units (I assume the one with the din plugs) uses the CR2354 battery; where as the "older" units (with the phone connectors) uses the CR2032 battery and they state to replace it with the one that the unit came with. (page 90 in the Gemini Manual)

#17 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

I had a (late model)G-1 din style with the CR2032, so they are not all alike I guess.
My two now use the 2354 battery.
Blueman

#18 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

The only difference I see (besides the mAH) is like what Bowmoreman said, thickness of the battery.
I think I'll use the 2354 like the one in it now.

#19 John Wunderlin

John Wunderlin

Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

• Vendors
  • Loc: Mineral Point, Wi

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

A little late to the party, but I had a problem with my G11 similar to what you are describing. In my case it turned out to be the hand controller's cable. Ordered a new one from Losmandy and it's been fine ever since. Cheapest thing I've ever ordered from them :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics