Right Ascension Disassembly - Meade LXD75

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smshnick

smshnick

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

O.k., I'm in the middle of a Hypertune on my LXD75 mount and am unable to get the setting circles / right ascension assembly apart. The Hypertune DVD says it's easy and they should just slide apart but mine certainly doesn't. There's a ring in front of it that I've loosened, but nothing appears to give. I've tried channel locks to break loose the Polar Scope / Clock dial assembly but no luck.. Any ideas?

Attached Files

#2 smshnick

smshnick

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

O.k, I got it.. Gentle hammer and tight grip with channel locks.. whew..

#3 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

A few months ago when I took apart a LXD 55 eq. mount for my friend, I found there are 3 small grub screws holding the shaft collar nut in place. These small grub screws can be reached through one of the screw holes and require a 1.5 mm Allen key for loosening. The LXD 75 may use the same system.

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

O.k., I'm in the middle of a Hypertune on my LXD75 mount and am unable to get the setting circles / right ascension assembly apart. The Hypertune DVD says it's easy and they should just slide apart but mine certainly doesn't. There's a ring in front of it that I've loosened, but nothing appears to give. I've tried channel locks to break loose the Polar Scope / Clock dial assembly but no luck.. Any ideas?

On the newer LXD75 mounts, the polar scope holder is often glued in with thread lock (perminant). The way to take care of this is to use a small torch (like a fine-tipped propane torch or a butane pencil torch) to heat the inside of the holder (in your picture) to loosen the thread lock. Once it is good and warm, the holder should come out much easier. In addition, use a piece of leather (like an old belt) to cushion the jaws of your channel locks to keep from maring the finish any further.

You can contact me directly for more support.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics