low-latitude wedge for CGEM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

I realize this question has been asked many times before..

CGEM only goes down to 15 degrees. I need it to hit zero.

Astro-Physics has such an adapter for the AP900 (the WDG/WDGA). There is no such adapter for the CGEM, and tilting the whole mount by extending one leg is a precarious operation.

I've been in contact with someone who can machine the adapter for me (I had an initial design which he revised to make it one-piece and easier to machine) but the cost is a bit more than I'd like to pay (almost half of what my used CGEM cost..)

Do I have any other options?

#2 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

i only meantion this because i had a similar situation....

It may help to "justify" the cost of the adapter. At least, this advice was told to me, and it helped me decide to have something machined.

I was looking for an adapter plate to use a certain tripod with a certain mount head - so something had to be machined for me. The quote i got was very high in my opinion for what it actually was.

But i quickly changed my opinion of its high price when i was told the following -

1. If someone is willing to machine a one-off item for you your going to pay for it.
2. The owner of the machine puts wear and tear on their machine to make this for you.
3. Your project is taking time away from other "repeating" projects. Its likely when your business is finished, your not returning for something else

So remember that - and hopefully it will justify the cost of the part you require. Best of luck.

#3 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:00 AM

fwiw I'd be interested as well; looking at either the CGEM or the DX version - at the moment it will be used at ~35d latitude, but I anticipate I will be using it much closer to the equator in a couple of years. Is you machine work done locally in Singapore? Just curious.

#4 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

no the quote i got was from a US machinist. i'm not Singaporean so i don't speak/read chinese and dealing with local machinists can be a bit of a challenge..

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:21 AM

@faltered, yes I agree about the one-off. but.. I think there is a repeating market for a CGEM low-latitude pier.

But anyway it is what it is. I'm actually toying with the idea of enrolling in a machining class just to get access to the milling machine and lathe. Machining is a possibly interesting hobby as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics