Need mount advice for 130 f/6.3 apo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Moondust

Moondust

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

I'm looking for an EQ mount for a 130 f/6.3 apo with weight being about 15 lbs. I do not do any imaging so this is for visual use only. The contenders are as follows.

#1 Celestron CGEM.
#2 Losmandy GM-8 (Will it handle this scope? Also is it possible to get the G11 Heavy Duty legs for use on the G8 for added stability or just forget the G8 and get the G11 right way?) Portabilty is a concern.
#3 Optron Q45 (don't know much about this mount but it sure reminds me of an AP design)
#4 Vixen Sphinx
#5 Vixen Sphinx D
#6 Vixen GP Deluxe (not sure it will support this scope but I like the price compared to the others.

Any advice is sure appreciated or feel free to throw in your own contender. Thanks.

#2 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

If your fussy, the CGEM will be rock steady. I used my 130 f/6.3 for 3 years on the ASGT with 1-2 seconds dampening time, even with binoviewers...I'm not fussy. It was very light and portable.

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

Ditto. 15lb should be within the capabilities of a CG-5, LXD75, or Vixen GP.

All of these mounts are much lighter than the eye-popping CGEM (I have a CGEM and GP.. I cannot move the fully-assembled CGEM around even if it has no scope on it). I had my C9.25 on the GP for a while.. the GP wasn't happy but it could (barely) handle the (22lb) C9.25 up to about 300X. But that's why I got the CGEM.

If weight is a concern, the Sphinx SXW has a 16lb capacity (about the same as the GPD/GPDX/GPD2) and the SXD has a 33lb capacity. Both are for visual.

#4 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

Does cost matter to you? Have you considered Astro-Physics Mach1-GTO? It's lighter (weighs only 28.5lbs) than CGEM and has photographic carrying capability of 45lbs. It's probably the most expensive than your list. With the proper accessories, it can cost about $8K. This is a very portable mount.

Peter

#5 PHampson

PHampson

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

For purely visual, the CG-5 ASGT will most likely do just fine. It's light and portable, very stable on the tripod with 2-inch legs, the software, gotos, etc. are top-notch, and it's inexpensive. I've used a 26 lb. 8" f6 homebrew newt on it for visual and planetary imaging with no problem.
From my experience so far with the IEQ45, it is more stable and better for AP but the software, while good and plenty adequate for me, takes some getting used to and isn't as easy to use. The goto performance, likewise, is good but not as accurate as the Celestron. At 25 lbs. though, the IEQ45 is just as easy to haul around and set up as the CG-5, will handle more weight, has a much better polar alignment scope, and comes with built-in GPS. It's no AP but I think it was a good buy and will meet my needs for a while. With an RA worm upgrade, it has the potential to be an excellent AP mount in my opinion.

Paul

#6 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

I'm using an AP130GT on a CGEM. It has been behaving like they were made for each other. The mount is extremely willing to work. With a finder the weight will be at the end of the bar. Very satisfactory combination.

-Rich

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics