• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EricRemy

EricRemy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

Hi all:

I have a Vixen SP mount with a DMD-2 controller that I would like to modify for use with an autguider camera (SSAG). From what I was able to see, this modification is too complicated because of the way this controller is built.It would apparently take seven wires to control the thing when only six are needed in a typical setup.

My only solution is to buy another controller, the DD2. From what I gathered, the DD1 is discontinued. My question is, is the DD2 compatible with these earlier SP motors?

OPT says they are not but certain adds in the classified section seem to suggest otherwise.I therefore ask for your help in this matter.

I have heard that these mounts are far better made than the cheap clones and I think it would be better suitted for a light photo rig.

Thanks for your insights.

#2 sky_dave

sky_dave

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hi Eric,

Vixen used two different types of stepper motors with the SP. A 9V motor with 1/300 gear ratio and a 6.3V motor with 1/120 gear ratio. The DD2 works with the latter which is the MT1 motor. You can determine which type you have by looking at the connector on the motor housing. See if it has 5 pins or 8 pins. The old 1/300 gear motor has 5 pins. The newer MT1 motor has 8 pins. You can also pull the motor out of the housing and read the label on the back for the gear ratios. You can't use the DD2 with the old 1/300 motors.

Dave

#3 EricRemy

EricRemy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

Thanks Dave for your insight.

Guess the DMD-2 and the motors are going to be sold because while it is possible to modify for autoguiding, the process is more expensive then changing the drives and controller.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics