Porta II bracket

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

I came to own a Vixen Porta II mount and I have been very pleased with the quality and performance of the mount with just a few exceptions. The Porta II comes with the typical Vixen mount with the large locking screw and a small safety screw. Like all of the Vixen saddles they mark up the dovetails on your scopes! That aside the real problem I was having with the mount was the vertical configuration of the saddle. When I mount my Onyx 80EDF, the focuser rotates so that the focusing knobs are now horizontal, but my RDF finder is mounted on the non rotating tube of the scope. This puts the RDF in an unusable position. Also when I had my SV115T20 mounted on the Porta II, which does not have a rotatable focuser, the focuser ends up in a vertical and awkward position. One other thing about the Porta II that was lacking was if you were rotate the mount a great distance in alt or azm you had nothing to grab onto but the scopes focuser.

Attached Files

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

and this. I could rotate the scope in the rings, but then I have to reconfigure the scope for my other mounts and rebalance everything again.

Attached Files

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

While Browsing CN I came across a thread that mentioned a bracket for the Porta II supplied by Manny Myles. When I saw the bracket I knew it would solve my problems and it did just that! It rotates the saddle to the horizontal position and provides a grab handle for moving the mount with greater precision.

Attached Files

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

After installing Manny’s Porta Bracket the RDF finder on the Onyx is properly positioned for easy access and the focuser on the SV115T20 is now positioned as it should be.

Attached Files

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

and this with the SV115T

Attached Files

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

The Manny Porta bracket is nicely made and finished. I have noticed no flexure in the mount because of the new bracket. The mount is now perfect for versatility and ease of operation with all my scopes. Along with the Onyx and SV115T20 I also use it with an SV70ED and a Vixen R139sf. I also replaced the Vixen saddle with a TD2 saddle from Stellarvue that uses a spring loaded clamp to secure the dovetail without marring it.

Stan

Attached Files

#7 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

I have some of the same problems with my PortaMount, which is otherwise an excellent and problem-free mount. Where's a pointer to Manny's site?

/Ira

#8 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

You can give him a PM from CN under Manny Myles.

Stan

#9 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

Great photos there Stan, the Porta does work well with a lot of different scopes you have there.
m2

#10 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

I've had it out the last couple of nights now with a different scope every night and it is definitely a lot better to use. The configuration is so much better and the handle makes all the difference in moving the mount without having to manhandle the scope. :waytogo:

Stan

#11 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

The non-manhandling of the scope is was one of the main reasons I built mine in the first place.
The main scope I use on my Porta has a fairly long optical train and was always pushing it to get to where I wanted to look.
One of them nights it would have loosened up and crashed and burned.
m2

#12 Ouranos

Ouranos

Viking 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

Stan,
Thanks for posting this. The night before you did, I had my Porta out and was frustrated w/ always grabbing the focuser of the scope to point it at a different object. I contacted Dave to order the bracket and he has been awesome to work with.

#13 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

This thread inspired me to order one of Dave's brackets. It arrives on Thursday. Can't wait to try it out with my ED80! I'm left eye dominant, and the way Explore Scientific mounts the finder scope on the OTA makes it incredibly uncomfortable to use. Dave's mount will allow me to position the finder on the right side of the OTA.

#14 Ouranos

Ouranos

Viking 1

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Received Dave's bracket today. The workmanship is excellent, the paint looks great - like it came from the factory. It was an easy fit and my AT102ED refractor rides very nicely on it. Having the handle that comes with the bracket is awesome. Again, Dave was great to work with.

#15 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Yes, I was impressed with the paint job too. He bakes the paint for 30+ hours. Really gives it a nice finish.

Stan

#16 pluton

pluton

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:11 AM

Hello,
There is much difference between the Porta and the Vixen Porta II?
Greetings

#17 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

Received Dave's bracket today. The workmanship is excellent, the paint looks great - like it came from the factory. It was an easy fit and my AT102ED refractor rides very nicely on it. Having the handle that comes with the bracket is awesome. Again, Dave was great to work with.

Mine didn't arrive yesterday, so hopefully it'll show up today. Of course, it's going to be cloudy all weekend :cloudy:

#18 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

Hello,
There is much difference between the Porta and the Vixen Porta II?
Greetings

The Porta II has a removable head so that you can use a different tripod. With the Porta Mount I, your only option is to switch out the aluminum legs with a wooden set from Hands on Optics.

#19 Ouranos

Ouranos

Viking 1

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

Here is my scope on the mount with the newly installed bracket. (from my blackberry) It is not the PortaMount II and I have installed wooden legs on it.

Attached Files

#20 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

Looks great, Ouranos. Does the setup feel more stable?

#21 Ouranos

Ouranos

Viking 1

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

Good question, Joel. Not necessarily more stable - but it is certainly not less. Two things the bracket solved for me - having the handle is awesome. I hated swinging the scope around by grabbing the focuser. And, I did not like the sideways positioning caused by the original placement of the dovetail bracket. This is especially true when I use the mount for my C8 - which is not often - but does happen on occasion. Also, the mount is much better now for using it with my camera which I also do occasionally.

#22 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

Great looking setups Stan and Paul!
m2

#23 darkman

darkman

Man In Black

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

Stan,

Thanks for posting this, the timing was perfect: I just bought back my old 127mm Mak & Vixen Portamount rig, so 'Manny' just got a PM from me for a bracket & handle.

I really like the TD2 saddle idea also, much more secure attachment.

#24 tedbnh

tedbnh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:59 AM

I purchased this bracket (used from AM) and tried it on my Porta II. My problem was, as I tilted the scope more up to zenith, the center of gravity was now quite far from the center of rotation of the mount. As a result, at some point the scope just tipped backward. So I removed it. When the scope is mounted sideways, as difficult as that can be when the RDF is on the non-rotatable part, at least the CG of the scope stays pretty close to the axis of rotation.

However, I may not have had the mount's drag adjusted tight enough. Now that I've fiddled with the drag and gotten it tighter, I will put the bracket back on and try again.

#25 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

The same thing happened with mine, once I tightened it up a slight bit, this never happened again.
m2

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics