Photo

CELESTRON CG-5 questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vpdwl1960

vpdwl1960

Lift Off

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

I have a new Celestron CG-5, It is the 2nd one I have owned. I have a setting of about 32 degrees latitude from where I live. When I am using the polar alignment routine I cant get to the altitude adjustment screw on the front end of the mount to adjust to get the correct altitude, because the housing on the CG-5 mount is in the way. You can not turn the screw, on the front side of the mount only very tight working conditions. Are there any aftermarket adjustment screws or knobs that will work on this

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Skylab

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

The screw on the front is not an adjustment screw. It is only a stop. You use the rear screw for adjusting the mount.

Stan

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

The screw on the front is not an adjustment screw. It is only a stop. You use the rear screw for adjusting the mount.

Stan

Actually it can also be used for adjustments. But it is not very useful for latitudes near 30 degrees. I removed mine and put it in a drawere somewhere.

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Skylab

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

Stan

Actually it can also be used for adjustments. But it is not very useful for latitudes near 30 degrees. I removed mine and put it in a drawere somewhere.

You must use lighter counter weights or anti gravity weights. I just have the stock ones.

Stan

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

You must use lighter counter weights or anti gravity weights. I just have the stock ones.

Stan

Sho' would like some Anti-Gravity counterweights! ;)

I didn't have any trouble at all adjusting with either bolt with two 11 pound weights on the mount. It's just that at my latitude there is not enough clearance to use the front bolt.

#6 PHampson

PHampson

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

I've used both of them for adjusting at one time or another without any problem. Need to loosen the opposing one before tightening the other, of course, unless you want to hurt yourself. I've done that, too.

Paul

#7 Dan Watt

Dan Watt

Viking 1

• Loc: Oceanside, Calfornia.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:36 PM

I had the same issue on my CG5 at 33 degrees, forward altitude adjuster would contact the plastic housing for the RA motor. Removed the knob and never looked back, doesn't seem to affect stability while imaging.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics