Tele Vue Vixen style adapter on CG5

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:05 AM

Has anyone got a Tele Vue scope mounted on a CG5 with the Vixen style dovetail made by Tele Vue. It does not seem, at least from photos, that there is room for the safety lips at each end of the TV adapter to clear the plastic motor housing on the CG5.

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

Safety lips?

:lol:

I didn't know those protrusions were called that. ;)

Fits fine on my CG-5 with a little room to spare, remember to use the notched side next to the threaded lock knob or it will fall off.

Attached Files

#3 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

Yeah I guess safety lips sounds a little silly but you know what I meant. I also should have been more specific. I meant the Goto CG5. The plastic housing for the Dec. motor assembly wraps around the front of the mount and appears flush or nearly flush with the seat of the CG5's Vixen style saddle in photos I have seen of the CG5. The last time I saw a CG5 at a star party was some time ago and I wasn't thinking of buying one then so did not pay much attention.

#4 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:09 AM

Okay. I also had a goto version, but don't think I owned TV with the TV/Vixen dovetail on it. It should fit, but you could always replace it with the Astro Tech. universal 8" vixen dovetail which I have for my TV-85.

#5 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Yeah I know about the AT Vixen dovetail and there are others but I rather like the TV version because of the notch and the "lips" and I can just bolt it to my Tele Vue Alt/AZ mount when I want to grab and go.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics