• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lw24

lw24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:51 AM

Hi all,

I've recently ordered an AZ4 mount for my ST120 to go on, and whilst it's being delivered, I started looking at some other mounts. I stumbled across this: Heavy Duty Alt Az Mount<-- The one on the right

It's only £119 plus shipping, and for that money you can't really go wrong, but is it actually any good?

So, anybody tried it, or had any experience with it?

Cheers

Clear Skies

#2 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:35 AM

I think this mount is more suitable for mounting binoculars. It has no slow motion control.
Here is link of a bigger version of this mount for big binoculars.
http://www.bigbinocu...om/hercules.htm

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

#3 lw24

lw24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:39 AM

Im guessing it's no good for a Startravel 120 then

#4 vinnie

vinnie

Minister of Misinformation . . . Oh Yes

• Loc: Queensland, Australia

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:41 AM

Hi all,

I've recently ordered an AZ4 mount for my ST120 to go on, and whilst it's being delivered, I started looking at some other mounts. I stumbled across this: Heavy Duty Alt Az Mount<-- The one on the right

It's only £119 plus shipping, and for that money you can't really go wrong, but is it actually any good?

So, anybody tried it, or had any experience with it?

Cheers

Clear Skies

Well, mate

I have no idea about the mount shown in your link, never seen or heard of it

but

What would put me right off is the ad straight under for the "budget EQ5" which is the one sold under various brands often as Konus or Seben. That's the one with the hard plastic clutch rings. Over tighten the clutches by the slightest amount and the rings split. Pure junk. I would have to question a vendor that offers that mount with the claims made, and therefore would question anything from that vendor

#5 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

They look like the Televue line of alt/az mounts

http://www.televue.c...p?id=4&Tab=_Gib

depending on which one you get they are pretty robust...

#6 lw24

lw24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

I would have to question a vendor that offers that mount with the claims made, and therefore would question anything from that vendor

Apparently, the guy who runs that website is a reptuable seller, and can be trusted.
I know what you mean though, if it's any good, it does look a bit "too good to be true".

I think I'll leave it on this occasion.

One good thing, my AZ4 has just been dispatched :jump:

#7 stevenf

stevenf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

Be sure to give us a report on that AZ4 lw! And pictures! Did you get the aluminum or steel legs?

#8 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Nope never seen it before. I didn't know about it either. :grin:Mike

#9 Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam

Vostok 1

• Loc: smack dab in the middle of the US (almost)

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:42 AM

Does it appear that any of their EQ mounts are worthwhile? It looks like one of them would adapt to a standard Meade tripod.

#10 lw24

lw24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:55 AM

Be sure to give us a report on that AZ4 lw! And pictures! Did you get the aluminum or steel legs?

I got the Aluminium legs, as I have to get out alot to use my 'scope, so didn't want anything too heavy.
I think I'm going to upgrade them at a later stage though, when I get a bit more cash :cool:

I haven't really read any reviews on the Aluminium Legged version, so it will be interesting to try it out :jump:

#11 lw24

lw24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:58 AM

Does it appear that any of their EQ mounts are worthwhile? It looks like one of them would adapt to a standard Meade tripod.

People have bought eyepieces and other accessories from him in the past and been satisfied, but I'm not really sure about the quality of the mounts he sells. They seem like 'bargain bucket' mounts that might fall apart after a few uses. I'd leave them on this occasion.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics