• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ScottW

ScottW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hi,
I am just want either a push to or a goto mount for my 6" tube reflector/Ranger combination that just does what it claims to do. I must however keep the money under $2000, the more under the better! What can one buy that really works. I've collected enough that doesn't deliver.

Thanks ,
Scott

#2 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

Hi Scott,
Visual-only, or photography in mind?

I don't know your scope - what's the expected max weight?

Regards,

skybsd

#3 ScottW

ScottW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:53 AM

Skybsd,

Visual.
The scope is a 3.6" off axis reflector about 14lbs with a 6" tube. I would like to pair it up with my TV Ranger but I could for go that if needed.

Scott

#4 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

Hi Scott,

Skybsd,

Visual.
The scope is a 3.6" off axis reflector about 14lbs with a 6" tube. I would like to pair it up with my TV Ranger but I could for go that if needed.

For under $2K - what have you seen in the past that disappointed? There are options for 20lb - 25lb capacity mounts, but wouldn't wish to suggest options that you've already had a bad experience, really.

Regards,

skybsd

#5 ScottW

ScottW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

Skysbd,

Well with direct experience just a cheap Meade goto. Kind of fun to play with but not much else.
The part that troubles me is that it seems that all these goto and push to mounts all seem unreliable, or don't work below 50 degrees or are not accurate enough. Lack of confidence in these products is what bothers me the most. I'm not even sure of some of the big players in the $3000 plus range from what I read. To spend even what I consider my limit to mount at present a total of $1000 worth of scopes would be a stretch. I would only do that if I knew I would be spending the equal amount on a very good scope in the future that the mount would carry.
I just don't want problems.

Scott

#6 Loren Toole

Loren Toole

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Mexico USA

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:13 AM

Scott
In the past three years I've tried a Push-To (Orion Intelliscope) and a Go-To (Meade LXD75) systems. I had used the Push-To for several years, then jumped on a used Go-To thinking it was a substantial upgrade.

Yes, the whirring motors and ease of use with Go-To were impressive (at first). But I found the power hogging aspects of Go-To was annoying, my portable battery pack was always drained after a couple of hours observing. Finally in February the Go-To went bonkers without warning, slewing the scope at high speed, stopped that just in time to prevent a scope crash against my pier. In the end I was really put off by the complexity of trying to debug this problem. Frankly the Go-To in my opinion is not sufficiently reliable (typical Chicom electronics, I mean) to make this type of situation user-friendly.

As of today, after some soul searching, I've decided the Push-To is really my style: nearly zero power consumption, quiet operation with minimal complexity, I am in total control of where the scope moves next etc. So, if I had to make this choice now I would definately recommend Push-To. Unless you plan to spend $000s on a high end system.

Loren

#7 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Push to GOTO for visual use is accepted by 95% of the Dob users. There is nothing wrong with it. RA tracking via some bat's and you are good to go. There is a "brand new" early 90's C8 up for auction on the other site. I think the bat's were in the base of that model. It had a couple of "c" bats in it and would run for days. It would fit the bill.... FWIW.. Joe

#8 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hi Scott,

Skysbd,

Well with direct experience just a cheap Meade goto. Kind of fun to play with but not much else.
The part that troubles me is that it seems that all these goto and push to mounts all seem unreliable, or don't work below 50 degrees or are not accurate enough. Lack of confidence in these products is what bothers me the most. I'm not even sure of some of the big players in the $3000 plus range from what I read. To spend even what I consider my limit to mount at present a total of $1000 worth of scopes would be a stretch. I would only do that if I knew I would be spending the equal amount on a very good scope in the future that the mount would carry.
I just don't want problems.

I think I know what you mean..,

However, here's a little secret - ALL mounts suffer from problems from one time to another, from the lowly mass-produced imports to the mighty big iron, super expensive ones - believe me, I know.

The trick for me was to establish a baseline of the value I attach to what I expect from a mount. I hate having to, or needing to "fiddle" with equipment that should just "do what it says on the tin".

My first mount was the NexStar6SE-XLT Alt-Az GoTo, then I got the EQ6 (Atlas EQ-G), then the Losmandy G11-Gemini, then I figured I'd get a Paramount ME, then I switched to the AP1200GTO, then decided I'll wait for the Paramount MX - and finally, I settled for the AP900GTO.

You know what? I still own the NexStar6SE-XLT - it has and continues to work flawlessly. The AP900 has not shown any signs of issues (as yet), but I've only owned it for a short while.., Both of these mounts offer me the absolute ease of simply turning them on, following their respective start up routines with no changes or secret chants, beheading of sacred poultry animals or offerings of various prayers - and they immediately fire up with bang-on GoTo accuracy and thereafter into the night. None of the others (save the AP1200GTO) gave that peace of mind operation.

For me, it comes down to my knowing what makes me happy, and then working out a realistic view of what I'd want to pay to get that happiness in a mount. At the moment, I'm extremely happy with what I get from the NexStar - because I'm realistic in what I expect from it, whilst at the same time, so far, I'm very impressed with what I see in the AP - especially when I think about how much I paid for it ;)

I'm tempted to throw up suggestions at this point, but I'd prefer to hear your thoughts on what I've said here before.., Hope that's okay..,

Best wishes, Scott..,

Regards,

skybsd

#9 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

Scott,
I have an LXD55, & it has been a fair mount AFTER (you knew it was coming) I stiffened & weighted the tripod, cleaned, relubed, added a warp belt drive kit. After those upgrades it was a quiet, reliable, mount for planetary AP & visual with a smaller OTA. The 8" R200SS, Criterion RV-6 were beyond it's capability for deep sky AP. I since moved to a used G11 ($1900 wi Polar Scope, HD tripod, & motor cans, I added DSC's & Sky Commander 4) & continued upgrade that (Gemini2, OPW, ordered ~6 wks ago) for the R200SS & a 10"SNT that came with the LXD55. FWIW, don't go the "upgrade" route, it is more $$$, frustration, & costs more TIME than getting a complete system that does what you want. With the semi-release of Gemini-2 (the firmware is still being finished) there will probably be some G11's that have Gemini-1 V4 or the digital drives that are sold off in the next few months that will b excellent values.
Clear Skies
StarT. :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics