Photo

Has anyone ever adopted Nexstar electronics ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Messenger

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:26 AM

Has anyone ever adopted nextstar electronics for use in push to arrangement? I have an older SCT (Ultima) that can use an electronics upgrade. I'm sure there are allot of DOB owners out there that can use the electronics as well.

I can purchase a used Nexstar scope (not with wonderful optics) such as one of their reflectors etc. That gives me a computer, encoders, wiring harness etc for under $100.00. Just wondering if anyone has done this before?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

Has anyone ever adopted nextstar electronics for use in push to arrangement? I have an older SCT (Ultima) that can use an electronics upgrade. I'm sure there are allot of DOB owners out there that can use the electronics as well.

I can purchase a used Nexstar scope (not with wonderful optics) such as one of their reflectors etc. That gives me a computer, encoders, wiring harness etc for under $100.00. Just wondering if anyone has done this before?

You don't get encoders, you get motors with built in encoders.

So you'd have to covert the scope to full go-to, which is not very practical. The problem is the declination axis on the Ultima has a tangent arm drive. You'd have to implement a worm gear drive for it.

Best alternatives:

Digital setting circles. I like the Sky Commander and the Argo Navis.

Or...

Do what I did with my U, put it on a go-to GEM. I moved the Ultima 8 OTA to a CG5 and have used it more than ever.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics