LXD-75 mount needs repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Krish Mandal

Krish Mandal

Mariner 2

• Loc: Forest Hills, NY

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

So I've been using my LXD-75 with no electronics, because it managed to go haywire and burned out, it won't work at all now. It used to just take off sometimes at random and slew to the wrong location, start slewing without my asking it, etc. It's finally burned out, and this is after Meade sent me a new hand controller (used actually).

Question is this: I haven't been sending it out because I had more important things to cover with the money, but now that I can actually spend the money, should I even do it?

I heard it takes 4-6 weeks to get it back, and some people have reported even longer, like 6 months, if they are seriously backed up.

Is it worth spending $225 on a $500 mount to revive it? It went kaput right after warranty expired, of course. Or should I just invest in a new mount? Like the Atlas that I was thinking about getting for astrophotography and increased weight rating?

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

I sent an LXD75 back to Meade for service under warranty once. One week (5 days) in transit, 2 weeks there, and 1 week in transit back. It has worked like a champ ever since. As to whether it is worth it, that's a personal choice. I figure when my LXD75 finally dies I'll upgrade, but for now it just keeps going, and going...

#3 tubehead999

tubehead999

Viking 1

• Loc: Kennesaw, GA

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

Things may have changed with Meade in the last several years, hopefully, but, at one time, you were able to order both of the motor assemblies for 100 dollars each, delivered. You may want to give that a try. Always best to ask for the supervisor in a nice way when you call.

I sent an LXD back under warranty five or six years ago. Meade lost it! Claimed they never received it...even though I had insured it and UPS showed it received and signed for by Meade. A very nice young lady answered my call the third time , after being hung up on the first and second calls....I was rather irate , especially after being told it was in queue for repair for a month, [I would prefer an "I don't know, but I will find out" to an obvious fib] and then being told it was "lost"; she found my shipped mount sitting in one of the the hallways, still in my original shipping container...and promptly shipped a new mount in my direction. So, kinda depends on who you contact whether you receive prompt and courteous service. Hopefully , all that changed when they moved their operation south of the border. Again, I would try the motor gambit first and see what transpires.

Best of luck...

#4 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

Used LXD75 sold used for about $300. LXD55 which has same electronics probably even less. It is not a bad idea to have 2 mounts of the same kind because you can track the problem by swapping parts.
Alex

#5 Krish Mandal

Krish Mandal

Mariner 2

• Loc: Forest Hills, NY

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for your input folks. Still ambivalent about what I should do, but that's par for the course for me on just about anything. Sometimes I tend to over-think the situation, but most often it's good for me.

Even if I repair it and sell it, it won't be worth the money if they only go for $300 used. On the other hand, maybe someone will buy it for $200, and repair it themselves. Long shot, I suppose.

So if I do repair it, I'll need another mount in the meantime, which is why I'm looking at getting an alt-az.

Like I said, lots to think about. Thank you all.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics