New Mount

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 LouP

LouP

Vostok 1

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi again all,

Well I had this mount out in the field for the first time last night and was observing until 3:00 AM with it. I have to say that it performed better than I even expected. Polar alignment was a snap and every object I selected after initial alignent was in the eyepiece of both my scopes mounted until the scope jumped the meridian. I was told by a friend there with more experience on a gem than me that this was perfectly normal and he was actually impressed with how close it actually was on the other side of the meridian. After I synced it up on that side, everythnkg else was back in view on the first try. I don't want to get into a go-to vs. push-to disccussion here but I saw more last night than the previous year's sessions combined and spent time with all of the selections in the eyepiece.

My buddy thought my dec motor was loose and we even took the cover off to see if it could be tightened. We could not make anything out and it was starting to get dark so we put the cover back on and let it be. Upon further examination this morning, it looks like there is nothing wrong and the motor is just spring loaded to hold the worm gear in tight. I had many people asking me about the mount yesterday and last night and most are very impressed with it. :)

I really liked the new auto-balance function that was recently added.

Highly recomened by me as it has turned out all I expected and more.

LouP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics