• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lw24

lw24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hi all,

Yesterday was a long day. I looked out the window at every car that went past, in hope for the delivery van. I had almost lost hope, but at 4:55, a FedEx van pulled up outside my house. Finally!

As is the norm with all Synta products, it was packaged well, with lots of excess foam and bubble wrap (I have used to make a decent eyepiece case). I was quick to get it out the box and set the aluminium tripod up. The aluminium tripod is essentially the same as the one that come with the AZ3, but it has a small block of metal on it which is needed to mount the head on to.

The mount head is an impressive piece of kit. It feels extremely well built, and weighs quite a lot. I fastened it onto the tripod with ease, and attached the panning arm. The panning arm makes movements buttery smooth, and the adjustable tension wheels make moving it as easy and precise as you want.

There was a small niggle, and that was that the small block of metal that is needed for attaching the mount head isn't actually big enough. I fixed this by taping a small eraser to the side of it! :grin:

I also ordered a Skywatcher Medium dovetail for attaching my telescope (Startravel 120 f/5), which all works well.

The problems I experienced with the AZ3 are now non-existant, and I consider this purchase to be the best £130 I have ever spent. It turned a decent setup into a quality set up.

I would happily buy another if I got the chance, and don't feel the need to upgrade the tripod legs in the near future.

Cheers!

Clear Skies :jump:

#2 clchildress

clchildress

Apollo

• Loc: NW Georgia, USA

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Congrats! Lots of new mounts this year :) Very glad to hear that your upgrade fixed the problems you were having.

#3 stevenf

stevenf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

Congrats on the new mount lw. I am finding that I love my ST120 even more now that I have a decent mounting for it, and I hope your experience is the same.

#4 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

lw24, would you please explain in some detail the little block of metal being too small. im thinking about purchasing one of these mounts and would like to know if this is a major problem with this mount and can cause the mount not to work properly down the road over time. thanks, donnie

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

lw24, would you please explain in some detail the little block of metal being too small. im thinking about purchasing one of these mounts and would like to know if this is a major problem with this mount and can cause the mount not to work properly down the road over time. thanks, donnie

Not sure what he means. The AZ4 uses a standard Vixen dovetail setup, and all of the scopes with 'em around here are held very securely.

#6 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:31 AM

i think he means attaching the mount head to the tripod, i think?

#7 lw24

lw24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:34 AM

Right. On the top of the tripod, there's a small block of metal, which connects into the mount head when you attach it.

The block of metal is a little bit small, meaning that when you turn the telescope left and right (mostly on high friction setting), there's a small click before it moves.

It's nothing serious, and can be resolved easily, by attaching something to the side of the block, to make it bigger and make it a snug fit.

Don't let it put you off getting the mount, I've used it for a couple of nights, and it's a great mount.

#8 dbx

dbx

Ranger 4

• Loc: CA

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:47 AM

I have an AZ4 too and its pretty darn good for the money. When you get things balanced properly, you dont even need the panning arm.

#9 lw24

lw24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

I like using the panning arm, I find that it makes movements buttery smooth :D

#10 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

I really like the AZ4, especially with the larger, tubular legs.

I've had an EZ-Touch and a Voyager, and prefer the AZ4 for its combination of portability and ease of use. It isn't finicky about balance (as I found the EZ-Touch to be) and it is well balanced (as I didn't find the Voyager to be).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics