11 replies to this topic

#1 philming

philming

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

Hi all !
I only had one chance to try out my side by side system so far, mounted on a CG5-GT.
I just spinned the mount's head 90° so as to have the OTAs pointing north, and just locked into position.
After doing some reading I realized there was an "OTA Orientation" setup on the HC.
------
OTA Orientation
Some users may wish to use an optional tandem bar adapter which allows you to attach to the mount two optical tubes at the same time. When most tandem bars are attached to a mount, the optical tubes are positioned at a 90 degree angle from the standard configuration. In order for the mount to be successfully aligned with the stars, it must know that a tandem bar is being used and in which direction the optical tube(s) are positioned (East or West) when beginning an alignment. The tandem option must be set before beginning any of the initial star alignments. To set this option, go to the Scope Setup menu and select the Tandem option and press ENTER. Then select from one of the following options:
• East- If the attached optical tubes are facing towards the east when the declination index makers are align, select East.
• West- If the attached optical tubes are facing towards the west when the declination index makers are align, select West.
• Normal- If the tandem bar is no longer being used, select "normal" to turn off this feature.
-----
How am I supposed to use this ? Is there a procedure ?
Leave the OTAs oriented so as to have the index marks aligned to start with ?

So my procedure is as follows (normaly)

• startup, reset to factory default (i regularly change area, so it's the simplest to change the GPS coordinates)
• Do a 3 star align
• Do a polar align
• switch off
• Do a 3 star align again.

Since I cant access the OTA orientation option before doing an align, when am i supposed to enter this setting ? And how should the OTAs be oriented in the process ?

Here's the procedure I imagine i'm supposed to follow :

• reset to factory default
• Then I do my first alignment (probably just a quick align)
• Set the option on the HC
• switch off and change to OTA orientation (physically)
• switch on > 3 star align
• Polar align
• switch off
• 3star align again

It all seem very complicated this way doesn't it ?

Thanx for your input !

#2 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort McMurray, AB

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

When you power up the mount before you hit enter to pick your alignment just go into menu, scope setup and pick OTA orientation.
You do realize that when you do a factory reset it erases all your backlash settings, PEC, etc.
I don't understand why your turning the mount off after you do your alignment though.
Are you sure it's a CG-5? It doesn't have a OTA orientation function.

#3 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

My mistake I just remembered that that they included the OTA orientation on one of the updates. I've never used it but I'll go read through the manual to see if I can help you figure it out.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

The OTA orientation sticks after a power off and such. So go ahead and set the orientation whenever you like to whichever direction the OTAs are pointing when you align the marks (it will be East or West) ... it will take effect on the next power cycle. Once this is done the mount will remember the offset and the direction and take that into account when you start the alignment procedure.

Oh and remember that there's no such thing as CG-5 specific firmware ... just gem firmware that's common across all the CG-5, CGEM, CGE, and CGEPro gem style goto mounts.

#5 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

Give this a try,
power on the mount, input your info (don't do a factory reset)
Push menu, go to OTA orientation and set east or west
push undo until your back to screen to do alignment
do a 2 star align or all star align then add 3-4 calibration stars. Dont shut the mount off.
Don't keep doing the factory reset your erasing all the info you want to keep in there to help with your future alignments and tracking accuracy.

#6 philming

philming

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:31 AM

Thanx all for your input ! I do the factory reset because I think it's simpler to enter my GPS location thaat changes allmost every time I go out with the gear.
I experimented a little yesterday too btw, and found out indeed, that upon initial powerup, I could go into menu and change the ota orientation, as stated above. So when this is done, the index marks have to be aligned properly, so in my case, the OTAs are pointing west.
After that, I just do Undo to climb up the menu hierarchy, and find the alignment question again.

Thanx all again to have looked into this for me !

#7 philming

philming

Lift Off

• -----

Sorry computer bug

#8 philming

philming

Lift Off

• -----

Again :-/

#9 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:51 AM

Thanx all for your input ! I do the factory reset because I think it's simpler to enter my GPS location thaat changes allmost every time I go out with the gear.
I experimented a little yesterday too btw, and found out indeed, that upon initial powerup, I could go into menu and change the ota orientation, as stated above. So when this is done, the index marks have to be aligned properly, so in my case, the OTAs are pointing west.
After that, I just do Undo to climb up the menu hierarchy, and find the alignment question again.

Thanx all again to have looked into this for me !

If you have to reset your mount to factory defaults every time, something is badly wrong. Unless you move a significant distance (like 60 miles) small changes in GPS coordinates are meaningless. Just accept the coordinates used "last time" if you are at the same site. ;)

#10 philming

philming

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:03 AM

Yes my observation and shooting locations can change quiet a bit allmost every time... And living in the Paris, France, area, driving 60 miles or more is not unusual considering the lousy skies we have here. (that's an euphemism btw).

#11 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

If you need to get your long/ lat use google earth for the area your going to. As long as your close you'll get a decent alignment. I travel for work so 1 week I can be 1000 miles away from the last place I setup and have never done a factory reset on any of my mounts. Even a regular road map will give you your long/ lat close enough that you'll be able to get your mount up and running.

#12 Cathal

Cathal

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ireland, land of mist and cloud..

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

The lack of accuracy inherent in most small levels that would be used for levelling the mount before switching it on would be more of an issue than moving 100km away.
The *only* time that the lat/long needs to be accurate is if you are trying to track satellites, and I think this as is a Meade-only function. it's not of relevance.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics