Lunar Walls -- two sittings on grey with a story

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

Go to the wordpress blog "Parables in the Sky" (link under my name) if you want to see the first sketch. The second is reachable from there.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

Roland,

The grey paper sketches are wonderful.
I also like that winter circle sketch from your most recent trip to the Philippines.
Well done.

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:47 AM

Roland,

Excellent observation of Julius Caesar and Rimae Ariadaeus over the Mare Vaporum region of the Moon. The gray paper adds to the observation, in my opinion. Your observations of the Beehive Cluster (M44) and the Winter Circle are also excellent. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

I have attached an image of this region of the Moon obtained on April 11, 2011 (05:36 U.T.) with my 9" F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain and a hand-held iPhone! I hope that you like it.

Carlos

Attached Files

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

Roland,

Very nice sketch of Lunar Walls :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#5 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

thanks all. and Carlos, that is truly an amazing picture...with an iphone!!! down here at Rainwater Observatory for the midsouth stargaze but came early to observe with friends. hope to get some of them up on the wordpress site.

#6 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Viking 1

• Loc: York, England

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:32 AM

I have recently become inspired to start drawing the moon's craters, mostly by looking through Frank's gallery, it is something I felt a little overwhelmed by previously but a small article in May's 'Astronomy Now' has helped with this.

I had been wondering if I would prefer to draw on black or white paper, and the thought occurred to me that I might try drawing on grey paper, I have to say I love the drawings you have produced on Grey backgrounds and I will definitely give it a go now.
thanks.

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

I am most comfortable with grey, like black, but use white almost exclusively overseas or when we teach others. If I always had a choice, I would use grey, because I can lay down light marks in white or black to start. Later, as I add things, I can always increase black or white as I need to express "relief". I have found it valuable to stay current in all three paper 'colors' and have the most challenges with white.

Hope this helps.

#8 hurler23

hurler23

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

Very inspiring images Roland! I have only begun the endeavour of sketching and have picked many tips and ideas from your work. My primary obstacle has been how to replicate texture of lunar features. My images generally turn out looking a bit flat.
I have not worked with any other media than white paper. I believe that I shall look to expand to grey and black as well.

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

Roland,

Thank you for the compliment on my iPhone image of Moon. It was taken for the fun of it but it came out well. I am impressed with the amount of detail recorded. The best of luck to you and Linda.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics