CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher AZ4 Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robo-bob

Robo-bob

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hello CNer's:

I recently purchased a Skywatcher AZ4 mount. I love the look, efficiency and ergonomics of the mount. The altitude motion is smooth and consistent but the azimuth motions is a tad sticky. I have replaced the Synta grease with quality lithium and this has helped but still not great. When I took both axis apart to change the grease, I noticed that the altitude is teflon on ebony star while the azimuth is teflon on aluminum. I am wondering if the factory inadvertently forgot to put in the ebony star ring. Can someone else with this mount please pop the azimuth axis open and have a look see if their mount has an ebony star ring inside it? It's just a matter of spinning the knob off and lifting the mount off the head. Should only take a few minutes to perform. I would be eternally greatful for some input here.

Thanks in advance - Rob

#2 Megawatt

Megawatt

Messenger

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

Hey Rob, I have this mount and I was wondering how to go about taking it apart and maybe re-greasing it. I find both motions smooth on mine but there are certain points on both axes where it seems to skip or stick just a touch. I'll see if I can answer that question for you when I have my scope out later today.

#3 Robo-bob

Robo-bob

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.

#4 Megawatt

Megawatt

Messenger

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

I also sent you a PM, but just for the CN record it is teflon on aluminum for the azimuth axis.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics