3 replies to this topic

#1 Robo-bob

Robo-bob

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Alberta

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hello CNer's:

I recently purchased a Skywatcher AZ4 mount. I love the look, efficiency and ergonomics of the mount. The altitude motion is smooth and consistent but the azimuth motions is a tad sticky. I have replaced the Synta grease with quality lithium and this has helped but still not great. When I took both axis apart to change the grease, I noticed that the altitude is teflon on ebony star while the azimuth is teflon on aluminum. I am wondering if the factory inadvertently forgot to put in the ebony star ring. Can someone else with this mount please pop the azimuth axis open and have a look see if their mount has an ebony star ring inside it? It's just a matter of spinning the knob off and lifting the mount off the head. Should only take a few minutes to perform. I would be eternally greatful for some input here.

Thanks in advance - Rob

#2 Megawatt

Megawatt

Messenger

• Loc: Flamborough, Ontario

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

Hey Rob, I have this mount and I was wondering how to go about taking it apart and maybe re-greasing it. I find both motions smooth on mine but there are certain points on both axes where it seems to skip or stick just a touch. I'll see if I can answer that question for you when I have my scope out later today.

#3 Robo-bob

Robo-bob

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Alberta

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.

#4 Megawatt

Megawatt

Messenger

• Loc: Flamborough, Ontario

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

I also sent you a PM, but just for the CN record it is teflon on aluminum for the azimuth axis.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics