• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

Greetings all, I had a long observing session with Saturn on 22-23 April and I was able to make two disk drawings and a close up drawing. here's the two disk drawings:

Posted Image

#2 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

and here is a close up drawing showing the spot and turbulence in the NTropZ:

Posted Image

#3 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

My impressions of the Globe and rings were as follows:

The storm seems fainter to me now, but its core is still essentially in the NTB, interestingly the NTropZ seems darker on the following side of the storm and I was under the distinct impression that there were a number of light ovals present in the NTropZ. A greenish tint was present in both the NTropZ and the NTZ. A NPC was strongly suspected (this is all nicely shown in the drawing 3)

Using the W21 filter also brought out some nice details in the NEB(n) and the NNTB. I find this filter also helps enhance any spokes or details in the B-Ring.

#4 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

Dear all,

I have just noticed that the radio clock in my observatory is behaving very strangely; it seems to be stopping, starting and behaving very strangely and keeping very bad time indeed! I have put in a new battery and it (although I did this last month) and it seems to be performing normally for now although I shall need to see how it is tomorrow. This may have been happening for at least a day (it was fine when I tested it a few days ago) so this means that the times (and therefore the CM longitudes) on the Saturn observations sent out earlier today should be disregarded as I am not at all certain that they are right, and I will need to check.

So, while the drawings I made are ok, the times and CM longitudes should be disregarded for now.

Regards,

-Paul.

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

The storm seems fainter to me now...

I concur, been meaning to ask that very question. You've done a really nice set of observations.

#6 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

Stunning sketches, Paul - you've captured an incredible amount of detail, far more than I've ever been able to see in this gas giant. Many thanks for posting these!

:) Jay
South Florida

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:11 AM

Like always... impressive sketches!

#8 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Viking 1

• Loc: York, England

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:14 AM

Paul,
I thought the details in the storm matched mine quite well if your observation time was about an hour later than me, but then I saw what time you had recorded and felt something odd had happened, do you suppose it might have been later than your clock was showing by an hour or so?

nice capture of the NTB and NNTB, these I found elusive.

#9 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:00 AM

Thanks all!

@Chris, yes I think the clock was about a 1hour and 10mins out! Anyhow, I have replaced the battery and it seems to be functioning fine!

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

Paul,

Very impressive observations and report on Saturn and the current state of the storm. You have recorded interesting detail over the region of the storm between the NTB and NTrZ. My impressions of the storm agree well with yours. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#11 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

Paul,

Very nice drawings of Saturn & the Storm :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics