CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GoTo vs Setting Circles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#26 George N

George N

Gemini

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

Is there someone else other than Losmandy today making a decent GEM that is *not* GoTo?

I’ve done it all ways over the years, and currently own a GoTo CG-5, a non-GoTo MI-250 with DSCs, and a Dob with DSCs. I particularly wanted a non-GoTo for imaging because I wanted to image in remote dark locations with no AC for several nights at a time. Having to run a CCD camera and Laptop left little battery power for slewing. I’ve found no problem imaging with a “PushTo” system, but in an observatory I’d use a GoTo.

I gave up manual setting circles after one night when, at about 3:30 AM, I wondered why I was laying on my back looking up at the sky, and then realized that I had fallen over backwards while bending down and squinting at the setting circles for about the 30th time that night! My next thought was: “Gotta get DSCs.” :cool:

#27 telescopemullet

telescopemullet

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

Is there someone else other than Losmandy today making a decent GEM that is *not* GoTo?

Optic-Craft.

#28 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

Takahashi, Vixen, Parallax.

#29 nomosnow

nomosnow

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

I bought a nexstar 8se 3 months ago . Before that I had a 12.5 inch newt. reflector with Thomas Mathis 12 inch drive and setting circles permanently mounted in an observatory I last used that scope in 1990.
The goto mount is a complete revelation. You know it's accurate when you can goto faint double stars and find them in a 9mm ep f.o.v. Also had to update coordinates from 2000 to present as 2000 coordinates would not put the stars in the 9 mm fov but present coordinates will. FANTASTIC!! :grin:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics