GoTo vs Setting Circles

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

Is there someone else other than Losmandy today making a decent GEM that is *not* GoTo?

I’ve done it all ways over the years, and currently own a GoTo CG-5, a non-GoTo MI-250 with DSCs, and a Dob with DSCs. I particularly wanted a non-GoTo for imaging because I wanted to image in remote dark locations with no AC for several nights at a time. Having to run a CCD camera and Laptop left little battery power for slewing. I’ve found no problem imaging with a “PushTo” system, but in an observatory I’d use a GoTo.

I gave up manual setting circles after one night when, at about 3:30 AM, I wondered why I was laying on my back looking up at the sky, and then realized that I had fallen over backwards while bending down and squinting at the setting circles for about the 30th time that night! My next thought was: “Gotta get DSCs.” :cool:

#27 telescopemullet

telescopemullet

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

Is there someone else other than Losmandy today making a decent GEM that is *not* GoTo?

Optic-Craft.

#28 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

Takahashi, Vixen, Parallax.

#29 nomosnow

nomosnow

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

I bought a nexstar 8se 3 months ago . Before that I had a 12.5 inch newt. reflector with Thomas Mathis 12 inch drive and setting circles permanently mounted in an observatory I last used that scope in 1990.
The goto mount is a complete revelation. You know it's accurate when you can goto faint double stars and find them in a 9mm ep f.o.v. Also had to update coordinates from 2000 to present as 2000 coordinates would not put the stars in the 9 mm fov but present coordinates will. FANTASTIC!! :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics