Photo

Just bought a Celestron Omni CG-4 mount!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

Just picked up one of these from telescopes.com. $240 after a $15 discount, plus free shipping. Tried to order it from Astronomics, but they're out of stock and not getting any more in :(

Anyways, I'm excited to receive it. I'll be using it with my ED80 for visual and casual astrophotography. Anyone else using a CG-4 for these purposes with a similar size scope? I plan to pick up an ED100 scope in the future and hope this mount will be stable enough. From the maximum load specs, it looks like it shouldn't be a problem.

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

I have a CG4 that I put a TV 85 on and I am pleased with it. Mine has a single axis drive that I bought from Orion. Orion's Astroview is the same basic mount so their single axis drive works perfectly on the CG4. I don't do astro photography with it and never will but not because of the mount. It's just that AP is too much like work for me, literally.

#3 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

Actually, the CG-4 is a much upgraded version of the Astroview/EQ3 mount. No comparison really.
Bearings on both axis', much better tripod, and it just plain looks better!

#4 punk35

punk35

Mariner 2

• Loc: lower michigan

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

yes the cg4 will be a nice match for your ed80 and should handle an ed100 fine for visual. i had the old style cg4 with the spindly legs and it did pretty good with the c4r it came with. the new style, as doug76 pointed out, has a much better tripod, so no problemo with the future ed 100. heck it might even do well with a st120 for visual, but that is speculation on my part as i havn`t tried it. enjoy your new mount

#5 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

I just got a CG4 mount as part of the Celestron 102ED package that was on sale at Astronomics. The mount handles the 8 lb 102 OTA with ease and feels like it could handle a heavier scope. I do visual so I can't comment on the astrophotography.
I see that they also sell the CG4 mount with a 120 mm OTA.

#6 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone. As far as astrophotography goes, I don't plan on pursuing it seriously. Just want to take some 20- to 30-second exposures using my DSLR camera. Would I need the dual-axis drive for this, or would the single be enough? I'm mainly a visual observer, and I like the idea of being able to track planets as well.

#7 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

Mine was great for visual even with the 120 F/8.3. I use the tripod now with my Vixen GP2, and put aluminum legs on the CG-4 to use as a grab&go for my AT 80ED.

I would think you could get by with the single axis drive for limited AP, just get an accurate drift alignment when you're setting up for AP.

There is lots of information on the net for tuning up CG-5 mounts that would be beneficial for the CG-4 as well. For AP you might look into tightening up the tolerances, and getting rid of any slop in either axis. This will imrove AP performance. CG-5 tuneup guide

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics