• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bachus

Bachus

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nashville,TN.

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hello

I'm in the middle of planning for my Exploradome and pier to hold my Atlas. My first choice for the pier adapter is one from Starizonia...

http://starizona.com...-P3254C761.aspx

But I'm always thinking ahead of ..what if...like what if I want a bigger mount. I don't see me getting something with a 100lb payload but possibly a CGEM DX or even the Losmandy G-11 which I've always admired. So I'm considering Dan's Pier Plates (8") since that model has an adaptor for both the CGEM DX and G-11.

So just for "looking ahead" and "if" a CGEM DX or G-11 comes in to play are these good choices in terms of the 50-60lb payload range? I like the Atlas for it's ease and I use PHD Guiding and EQMOD along with CDC. I just don't know that much as to the CGEM DX or G-11 and how they perform now, software, the Gemini 2, etc...

#2 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hello,

Hello ...
But I'm always thinking ahead of ..what if...like what if I want a bigger mount. I don't see me getting something with a 100lb payload but possibly a CGEM DX or even the Losmandy G-11 which I've always admired. So I'm considering Dan's Pier Plates (8") since that model has an adaptor for both the CGEM DX and G-11.

Is your intention for photography, or visual purposes?

When thinking of a mount upgrade - its best look at your usage requirements - and not who you "admire", really. Makes assessing and evaluating options more straightforward.

So just for "looking ahead" and "if" a CGEM DX or G-11 comes in to play are these good choices in terms of the 50-60lb payload range?

From the get-go, as far as photography is concerned, both the mounts you are already thinking about do not meet your stated payload capacity expectations.

What is your budget plans for a mount upgrade?

If it is that your expected max payload capacity of 60lbs is likely to happen, and it is for photography, then you either need to review your equipment configuration or review your budget.

Regards,

skybsd

#3 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

For a 100 lb capacity, you will need a Titan or AP 1200.
Blueman

Hello

I'm in the middle of planning for my Exploradome and pier to hold my Atlas. My first choice for the pier adapter is one from Starizonia...

http://starizona.com...-P3254C761.aspx

So just for "looking ahead" and "if" a CGEM DX or G-11 comes in to play are these good choices in terms of the 50-60lb payload range? I like the Atlas for it's ease and I use PHD Guiding and EQMOD along with CDC. I just don't know that much as to the CGEM DX or G-11 and how they perform now, software, the Gemini 2, etc...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics