New Losmandy G11 G2 first impressions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

I just received my new Losmandy G11G2. My first impression just out of the box was the high quality of the workmanship. I Have been use to rough castings and plastic covers of all my previoue GEMs from other MFGs. It is is easy to work on and clearly designed for the end user to repair without having to send the entire mount back to the MFG. The tripod is built more like a pier which will far less subject to vibration than my CGEM/C11 combo. I have yet to hook up the G2. I am still digesting all the G2 downloaded info. I plan to use the mount in my observatory using a PC based planetarium software for goto.

#2 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

Have fun, Mike.
Get connected to the Gemini II web interface ASAP so you can have one star alignment and computer control.
This link might help you get connected.
Remember the alignment routine via the HC is NOT yet functional even though it goes through the steps and SEEMS to work. It will do NOTHING to give you reasonable GOTOs yet.

You can also get the ASCOM software installed and even use Stellarium to control the mount. I needed help with the latter but it's working now . . .(thanks, Kirk.)

It's all a little overwhelming at first . . . at least I sure found it so. One step at a time.

#3 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Terry. I figured that it is like learning a new computer operating system. I will be happy if it just tracks bright/visual objects that I can slew to until I get over the learning curve and the goto gets working.

#4 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

One other question. Is the control box connected via the USB-A port with a USB cable to my PC if I do a download from these sites.

#5 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

Mike:

I am using USB to run ASCOM and the Stellarium control thing. I couldn't get the ethernet port to play nice with ascom. That's just me apparently . . . others are using ethernet with ascom. But to connect to the Gemini web interface you use the ethernet port, not USB.

And in case you don't already know, the HC goes into Serial Port #2, NOT #1.

#6 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

Thanks. I have several computers, However none of them have a ethernet socket the looks like the one on the G2. Am I missing something? Another dumb question. Do I need to buy a cable USB to ethernet so I can down load the latest firmware updates?

#7 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

My old Gateway has a ethernet socket. I will have to get a cable to hook up the the G2.

#8 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

Mike:

The ethernet connector is just an RJ 45 cable. Common as dirt. Think you will find ALL your computers have one? Might be they are all connected to the internet through it though?

I connect to the Gemini II web interface over my wireless laptop. Wireless that is in that the laptop connects to my WIFI router wirelessly. The Gemini II CPU is connected to the laptop via an RJ45 cable from the port on the Gemini II labeled "Ethernet" to the laptop RJ45 port.

Now, what would I do if the laptop was not wirelessly connected to the 'net and the RJ45 port was filled with the internet connection? I don't know. :(
Tom Hilton helped me get connected . . . bless his heart!

As with so many things pertaining to Gemini II, the USB port has limited functionality at this time. Mind it works fine on my mount to take commands from ascom and Stellarium.

But to get to the Gemini II web interface, I think you have to connect through the ethernet port with an RJ45 cable.

And, if I keep replying here, it is only a matter of time before I lead you astray, Mike. I really don't know that much. :)

There are others here far more reliable than I. Hopefully they might be along soon as you NEED to get connected to the web interface. Although, you can play with the menus on the HC to your heart's content in the interim. The catalogs are all there for GOTOs. And you need to enter your cooords and time zone as well.

#9 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

[quote Do I need to buy a cable USB to ethernet so I can down load the latest firmware updates? [/quote]

Pretty sure I am right here.
No! You can not update the software over USB at this time. You have to do it through the ethernet port.

#10 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Terry, this has been a great help. My RJ45 port is free. My internet connection is through a USB to a wireless reciever. No cable internet connections out in the hills were I live. One last question. I assume the G2 and HC should be connected and powered up with my Pyramid power supply, but need not be connected the G11 motors.

#11 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

Has anyone tried connecting the G2 unit to a wireless router then connecting a laptop to the router's wireless and controlling the Gemini that way? Wonder if that would work for ASCOM and TheSky as well...

#12 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

I assume the G2 and HC should be connected and powered up with my Pyramid power supply, but need not be connected the G11 motors.

That's correct, the motors do NOT need to be connected to update software or to just poke about the web interface to see what's there.

#13 quantumac

quantumac

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:33 PM

Has anyone tried connecting the G2 unit to a wireless router then connecting a laptop to the router's wireless and controlling the Gemini that way? Wonder if that would work for ASCOM and TheSky as well...

It is possible to control the scope from the web-interface with a wireless router in the loop. TCP/IP doesn't care where packets come from, so the underlying physical layer only matters when connecting the G2 to a network.

The web-interface reportedly supports serial commands over TCP/IP using a special cgi, but don't expect existing software which is serial based to automagically start talking over TCP/IP. Someone would have to write a bridge. Theoretically one could create a driver which would register as a serial port and do the translation to "G2-cgi", sending and receiving packets over TCP/IP.

#14 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

Better of all you can do the normal connection between telescope and PC, then control it from other PC using Ultra VNC, this is progra do remote pc program, you can transfer files, share screen etc and is free. Both PC need to be connected to the same network.

#15 quantumac

quantumac

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

Better of all you can do the normal connection between telescope and PC, then control it from other PC using Ultra VNC, this is progra do remote pc program, you can transfer files, share screen etc and is free. Both PC need to be connected to the same network.

I agree. That's what I do. It even works for Mac users like me. :)

#16 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

Being a Windows person, the first thing I think of when it comes to remotely controlling a computer is Remote Desktop. Is there any particular reason people choose VNC over RDP?

#17 Bachus

Bachus

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nashville,TN.

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

Please keep us updated on this and the overall workings of the G-11 V2. This new version and mount may end up on my wish list later on.

#18 gdd

gdd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Being a Windows person, the first thing I think of when it comes to remotely controlling a computer is Remote Desktop. Is there any particular reason people choose VNC over RDP?

RDP is more secure. It assumes only one PC can view the desktop at a time. If you have your apps displayed on a laptop at the mount, then go into the house to work from your home PC to work more comfortably, the display on the lap top will disappear. If you close your RDP session from your house, there will be no display on either computer. This does not matter if the applications can run in the background and do not depend on the desktop. But if one of them uses any screenscraping techniques, those will fail. I don't know if any popular astro applications use screenscraping, but someone might use such a utility to provide some additional customized capability.

VNC can be set up so the application can be displayed on both computers at one time if you wish. So you can control the applications from either computer, or you can set it up so the remote session can only view the desktop applications.

Of the two, I would say RDP is probably more responsive.

Gale

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics