CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Grimaldi

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

OK. Here is my sketch of Grimaldi, observed on 16th April. As usual I am using the Nexstar 8SE. Hope you like :grin:

Posted Image

and with notes

Posted Image

#2 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

Chris - Another excellent Lunar.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

Chris,

Another beautiful catch. Looks even better on the terminator than at high sun.
Well done.

Frank :)

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

Fine sketch! How much time do you spent sketching on the EP and how much on making the digital sketch?

#5 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

Jef -it's becoming pretty much the same for all the fiddly sketches (ie Grimadi and Pythagoras in the latest batch); namely 30-40 mins at the scope (I now take more notes than my earlier efforts -perhaps at some point I'll try a camera image thru the eyepeice for additional info). Then its 5-10x that on the tablet, mainly because I have probably not picked up the photoshop shortcuts. I find I get quicker with the second sketch if this follows the first in short order. However leave it a few months and I forget the menu routines! I scan the sketch, enhance the levels (to see all my pencil drawn lines and annotations) then I outline all the features and save as a base layer. To this I add layers for each feature (rills, floor, mountains, shadow, highlights, surface) and when I am happy I go through the whole scene blurring the lines between these layers - this takes the most time - as I prefer this to doing an "overall blur". Then I add a screen for the gradient (underlying surface detail) then transfer it to the notes template and annotate...all takes time vs the old pencil!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics