DM-4 or DM-6?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

After much thought, I have decided I want/need a DM-5!

#27 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

After much thought, I have decided I want/need a DM-5!

Hi Jackie,

I bought T-REX to fill a gap between HalfHitch and DM-6, hoping it would be DM-5-like. It turned out that load capacity is more like DM-5.9 :)

Tammy

#28 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

Tammy,

But isn't the weight & pricing comparable or more than the DM-6? I saw one site that listed the weight as 22 kg but this must include tripod/accessories?

#29 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

Tammy,

But isn't the weight & pricing comparable or more than the DM-6? I saw one site that listed the weight as 22 kg but this must include tripod/accessories?

Hi Jackie,

I didn't buy tripod for T-REX. So I don't know total weight including T-REX tripod. It isn't grab-n-go weight. I usually use Berlebach tripod with G11 mount base with T-REX.

The weight of setup (TSA-102S, finder, binoviewer, eyepiece, included) on left is 70lb. I can take whole setup and walk out of the window to backyard but I wouldn't call it grab-n-go but drag-n-go maybe.

TSA102S on T-REX/Berlebach Planet tripod:
Posted Image

Tammy

#30 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

Tammy,

The mount head is about 22 pounds. With the standard tripod and everything in the case it is about 34 pounds total.

#31 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

I have decided it will be a used DM-4 or Mark III HH. I value lighter weight very highly so I think that eliminates the DM-6 & T-Rex, though both would be wonderful choices if I had a rambler and concrete patio with unobstructed sky views.

Again, thanks for many insightful comments.

#32 tonyt

tonyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

Tammy, I noticed you've switched from an ADM saddle to a Casady saddle with the T-Rex; how do you think those two saddles compare - was the ADM deficient in any way?

#33 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

FWIW, I have switched all my saddles to Casady where practical. I wish my HH could be fitted with a Casady!

They even make a small one now for the A-P dovetail bar. Thay are all beautifully made - in my opinion better than Losmandy and even A-P. I can't comment on ADM . The Casady saddles are pretty beefy and thus heavier - or so it seems to me.

#34 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

Tammy, I noticed you've switched from an ADM saddle to a Casady saddle with the T-Rex; how do you think those two saddles compare - was the ADM deficient in any way?

Hi Tony,

Wow, you have sharp eyes :)

Nothing is wrong with ADM (dual) saddle. I still have a few for other mounts. It becomes handy when you have scopes with Vixen dovetail.

However I think that Casady's saddle is easier to mount (slide-in) than ADM saddle.

Tammy

#35 tonyt

tonyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hi Tony,
Wow, you have sharp eyes :)
Tammy

Do you feel like you're being watched :grin:

I followed your T-Rex thread and recently purchased one second hand. I have a Casady saddle on my DM6 and need to get a losmandy style saddle for the T-Rex. These mounts are more alike than they are different in terms of performance. Thanks to you and Doug for the replies.

Tony

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics