Photo

Am I special needs astronomer or what? =)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AaroninVermont

AaroninVermont

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

I have a CG-5-gt Mount.

when I try to adjust the azimuth alignment screws (knobs) nothing happens. As in, the scope does not move. I loosen one knob and tighten the other one. Nothing... I'm pretty sure the mount is sitting properly ontop the peg sticking out of the tripod.

I try using these knobs when I am making small adjustments in the polar alignment phase of my setup.

What am I doing wrong? :foreheadslap:

Thanks,

Aaron in Vermont

#2 clchildress

clchildress

Apollo

• Loc: NW Georgia, USA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

Have you lifted the mount head up, turned it over, and watched what is happening as you turn the azimuth knobs? Are they binding against something, or perhaps not seated properly? Have you confirmed that when the mount head is laying on the tripod head that it is laying flush and not sticking up to one side? Sometimes you have to unscrew the azimuth knobs a bit to get the mount over the knob and to sit flush on the tripod.

#3 AaroninVermont

AaroninVermont

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

I have not tried either one of these... sounds like what I need to do.

Sounds like they are not seated properly....

thanks!

Aaron

#4 Kaizu

Kaizu

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

Where do you live? By the manual, the altitude can be adjusted between 30 and 60 degrees, so if you live outside that range, you maybe have to build some special solutions.
Change the screws and also change the counter piece inside the mount.

Kaizu

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

kaizu, The comments about the 30 to 60 degree limitation actually apply to the altitude adjustment and not the azimuth adjustment.

Aaron, By removing and inspecting the bolts you will have likely fixed your problem. Most of the time the problem that you've described is caused by the the mount being tightly bound to the head of the tripod. If it's too tight you won't be able to move the azimuth adjustment. Often all it takes is to loosen the center bolt just a bit.

#6 Jeff in Austin

Jeff in Austin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: TEXAS

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

OR....maybe the peg that the screws push on is loose or broken. I broke mine at one point. The aren't very strong. But they are easily replaced with some threaded hardware from the local Home Depot.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics