• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

Does anyone happen to know the load capacity of the Takahashi Lapides Teegul mount? Can't find it on their site.

Thanks for any help.

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

Only anecdotal on my end. I use mine with an FS-78 plus Tak clamshell and 6x30 finder scope on a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod. It works pretty well, though it's not rock solid by any measure.

Here's another thread containing an anecdotal report of a guy running an FS-102.

http://tech.groups.y...p/message/30746

Regards,

Jim

#3 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western North America

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:16 AM

Does anyone happen to know the load capacity of the Takahashi Lapides Teegul mount? Can't find it on their site.

Thanks for any help.

Mine is like one in the original CN review and does not have the Lapides discs but it is very capable for up to a 14 pound telescope such as the AP Traverler with binoviewer, diagonal, eyepieces. I think the capacity would be in the 15plus pound region but would be very dependent on what is holding the alt-az Teegul up.

#4 TPMack

TPMack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: VA

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:46 AM

PJ,
I have an AP130EDFS on mine and it works just fine. I use the Tak wooden EL tripod with the Teegul.

Tom Mack

#5 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

PJ,

I've used Lapides Teeguls for years and think they are very well made and capable mounts. But IMO the real answer to the mount's "capacity" (as with almost any other mount) depends upon a combination of several variables:

1) Your tolerence for damping time. Personally, damping time over a second is not acceptable. Others seem to be fine with 2-3 seconds. Kind of a personal thing that. Damping time will be affected by:

2) The scope weight and length combination. With scopes of the same weight, the longer one is generally going to create longer damping times that a shorter scope.

3) The tripod--big factor! If I'm using a light weight GnG tripod such as a Bogen475 (very nice tripod BTW) I find an 80-90mm refractor or a short 5" Mak or SCT to be a good combination with acceptable damping times. In this case the outfitted scope would be in the range of 9 to about 13 pounds. If I'm using a heavier wood tripod such as the SV Stablelock or my rebuilt Gibraltar, the mount will handle a 100-115mm scope in the range of 12-17 pounds but IMO the top of the range is pushing it. For scopes of this size and weight I prefer my DM4 or SV MG2.

Overall, I think the Lapides Teegul works best in the 10-15 pound range on a very solid tripod.

Hope this is of some help.

Phil

#6 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

What I use on the Lapides Teegul is Takahashi FS78 630mm f.l. - 5.5 lbs, Nikon binoview with eyepieces - 2 lbs, Coronado SM60 with Tmax - 2 lbs, BF10 with OCS - .5 lbs. The total weight is just under 10 lbs. Just wanted to make sure I was not overloading it. I use the combination on a D&S Astro 600 tripod. With VSP's the dampening time is less than a second.

#7 TPMack

TPMack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: VA

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

PJ,
That load will be a piece of cake for the Teegul. I put a Sky90/SM90 with a 2 inch diagonal and 2 inch eyepieces on it and it rocks. With this combination, I do away with the heavier Tak wood tripod that I use with the AP130 and use a very light Bogen carbon fiber tripod.
I would recommend getting the long fine tuning knobs for the altazimuth drives being sold by a 3rd party. They make it easier to reach around the scope and adjust it. They were not expensive.

Tom Mack

#8 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

Agreed PJ,

The Teegul would be a perfect mount for that combo IMO!

Phil

#9 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

While I don't usually use my FSQ visually, I find that this mount holds it very well, although admittedly it's probably at the extreme upper end of the mount's capacity, near 20 lbs. with mounting ring, finder, diagonal, EP, etc. I have mine on a very sturdy tripod.

Art at TNR states that the mount is capable of holding up to a TSA-102, but that may be with the stock Bogen tripod that they ship with it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics