Orion SkyView alt/az not enough friction

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

I have a skyview alt/az. Neither alt nor az axis can be tightened enough to stop movement.
I sent the 1st head back and they replaced it with one that was worse. I then talked to a tech and convinced them to repair my original head. They did and the alt axis is ok but the az can not be tightened enough to keep it from moving while adjusting the mount.
It seems like it is worse in the cold. Maybee this summer it will be ok but meanwhile it is driving me nuts!
Anyone have any solution? I have thought abought putting a hose clamp and some 1/8" foam rubber just above where it rotates to add a little friction. Any ideas?
Also it would be nice to have a "slow motion" adjustment of some sort. Thanks; Don T.

#2 stevenf

stevenf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

Sounds frustrating. Not sure what to tell you. I have the Skywatcher version and both axis' will tighten up enough to stay in place. I heard that the lack of friction was an issue with earlier models. Maybe try for another replacement?

#3 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin, Australia

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:06 AM

I have this mount and have had the same problem. Cure is simply to spray some degreaser onto the nylon friction pads and then tighten up. Watch the grub screws don't strip, they are very small.

#4 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:41 AM

How do you get at the friction pads? Thanks; Don T.

#5 Djarum

Djarum

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntsville, Al

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

The key is balance. If the scope is not balanced properly in the AZ, the the AZ locking mechanism doesn't provide enough friction for the scope not to tip down or up.

What scope are you trying to put on the mount?

#6 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

I have an Orion 4.5" Starblast on one side and a Celestron C6 on the other.
Because of the center of gravity not being centered ( RAF on C6) it is difficult to balance at all angles. If I balance it at 30 degrees it is not balanced at 60 degrees, etc.
The problem I am having is that when I try to move the alt the az moves to easily. The alt adjustment is ok but the az moves also.
It's like having a Dob with no friction.
I made a handle for more leverage and I will try it next time out. I can loosen the alt but if I make it to loose the scope moves by itself when the angle changes enough to get it out of balance. Don T.

#7 Djarum

Djarum

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntsville, Al

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

I guess I'm confused. So the scope works fine moving up and down but side to side it moves too easiliy, is that correct? I thought the Azimuth was a roller bearing? I may need to pull mine apart. I have more trouble with the Altitude bearing than I do the Azimuth. The azmith works fine as long as the ground is level. I only use one scope, though. When using two scopes to look at two different parts of the sky, I think I could see how the Azmith axis could get unbalanced, causing it to be easier to move in one direction or another. I typically want to move the scope in both directions, so I don't care if the azimuth moves. The only time I really want the azimuth to stay stationary is when tracking planets. I track in the altitude as long as I can and the move the azimuth.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics