CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Synscan download cable

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

Hi all,
I've read that many others have had the problem I have in attempting to update the handset; no connection. The RS232 adaptor cable I used works fine to update my Meade Autostar, but not with the Synscan. Is anybody selling a direct to USB cable yet please? The antiquity of the RS232 connection almost beggars belief.
Cheers
Max

#2 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

Try the yahoo EQ-6 site or EQMOD site on Yahoo groups

#3 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

Try the yahoo EQ-6 site or EQMOD site on Yahoo groups

OK Greg, I'll do that; thanks!
Max

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

Hi all,
I've read that many others have had the problem I have in attempting to update the handset; no connection. The RS232 adaptor cable I used works fine to update my Meade Autostar, but not with the Synscan. Is anybody selling a direct to USB cable yet please? The antiquity of the RS232 connection almost beggars belief.
Cheers
Max

Not really. There are very good reasons for using RS-232 with telescopes.

As for your problem, it's that you are using the wrong cable. A Meade cable will not work with the Synta scope. You _should_ have received a SynScan cable with your mount, but, if not, they are available from dealers--scopestuff.com, for example.
;)

#5 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hi all,
Cheers
Max

Not really. There are very good reasons for using RS-232 with telescopes.

As for your problem, it's that you are using the wrong cable. A Meade cable will not work with the Synta scope. You _should_ have received a SynScan cable with your mount, but, if not, they are available from dealers--scopestuff.com, for example.
;)

Hi Uncle Rod!
Yes, since posting this I've discovered that the RS232 allows longer cable runs etc, so I bow my head! Anyway, I may not have made it clear, but I AM using the correct Synscan cable; it's the converter cable that appears to be the problem. I did a continuity check last night, and all appears to be fine. So, having read of other people having this problem, always related to the converter cable, I've decided to get a pukka internal socket for my computer and hope that works. I'll post again when I get it installed with the result. It's coming from Hong Kong so won't be here for a couple of weeks.
All the best and clear skies
Max

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics