4 replies to this topic

#1 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridgeshire Fens UK

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

Hi all,
I've read that many others have had the problem I have in attempting to update the handset; no connection. The RS232 adaptor cable I used works fine to update my Meade Autostar, but not with the Synscan. Is anybody selling a direct to USB cable yet please? The antiquity of the RS232 connection almost beggars belief.
Cheers
Max

#2 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

Try the yahoo EQ-6 site or EQMOD site on Yahoo groups

#3 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

Try the yahoo EQ-6 site or EQMOD site on Yahoo groups

OK Greg, I'll do that; thanks!
Max

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

Hi all,
I've read that many others have had the problem I have in attempting to update the handset; no connection. The RS232 adaptor cable I used works fine to update my Meade Autostar, but not with the Synscan. Is anybody selling a direct to USB cable yet please? The antiquity of the RS232 connection almost beggars belief.
Cheers
Max

Not really. There are very good reasons for using RS-232 with telescopes.

As for your problem, it's that you are using the wrong cable. A Meade cable will not work with the Synta scope. You _should_ have received a SynScan cable with your mount, but, if not, they are available from dealers--scopestuff.com, for example.
;)

#5 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hi all,
Cheers
Max

Not really. There are very good reasons for using RS-232 with telescopes.

As for your problem, it's that you are using the wrong cable. A Meade cable will not work with the Synta scope. You _should_ have received a SynScan cable with your mount, but, if not, they are available from dealers--scopestuff.com, for example.
;)

Hi Uncle Rod!
Yes, since posting this I've discovered that the RS232 allows longer cable runs etc, so I bow my head! Anyway, I may not have made it clear, but I AM using the correct Synscan cable; it's the converter cable that appears to be the problem. I did a continuity check last night, and all appears to be fine. So, having read of other people having this problem, always related to the converter cable, I've decided to get a pukka internal socket for my computer and hope that works. I'll post again when I get it installed with the result. It's coming from Hong Kong so won't be here for a couple of weeks.
All the best and clear skies
Max

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics