Orion Atlas Firmware Update Quandary

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hi, I have an Orion Atlas EQ-G that's several years old. I've updated the firmware a couple of times since new, but used a desktop PC with an RS-232 port. I'm running Synscan v3.21 currently.

I no longer have the desktop computer with native RS-232 support, but do have an older PC notebook with Windows XP and a PC card slot. I see that there are a number of PC Card RS-232 adapters available, and was wondering whether anyone had used one to update mount firmware? Are some better than others for this purpose?

Thanks!

- Jim

#2 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

Jim,
Any of the Keyspan USB to Serial adapter will work fine. They are serial as far as the OS is concerned. Does the older PC not have USB?
Joe

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hi, I have an Orion Atlas EQ-G that's several years old. I've updated the firmware a couple of times since new, but used a desktop PC with an RS-232 port. I'm running Synscan v3.21 currently.

I no longer have the desktop computer with native RS-232 support, but do have an older PC notebook with Windows XP and a PC card slot. I see that there are a number of PC Card RS-232 adapters available, and was wondering whether anyone had used one to update mount firmware? Are some better than others for this purpose?

Thanks!

- Jim

Yes. No...they are pretty much the same and all are the equivalent of a "real" serial port. I grabbed the cheapest one I could find on eBay, and it worked fine for both updating and suing EQMOD.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Jim,
Any of the Keyspan USB to Serial adapter will work fine. They are serial as far as the OS is concerned. Does the older PC not have USB?
Joe

He's talking about a PCMCIA serial card, any of which work far better than any USB-serial adapter.

#5 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Rod and Joe.

Follow up question: How do I know for sure whether the old laptop I'm using has a PC card (aka PCMCIA card) rather than a PC cxpress card (aka "Newcard")? I don't have the specs on the old laptop (nor the old laptop here at work), but it's probably five or six years old and is running Windows XP, so I'm guessing that it predates the express card spec, right?

Thanks!

- Jim

#6 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:24 PM

Yes that old = no xpress card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item20b881418d

Buy it now is @$2.59... Bargin.. Joe

Edit: XP is supported with that card.. Joe

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett