Photo

Which is sturdier Stabilock or Gibraltar ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

Wanted to ask which is sturdier a Televue Gibraltar or Stellarvue Stabilock... I am guessing the Stellarvue, just based on pics, but wanted to solicit opinions before $$.

#2 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

The legs on the Stabilock are really stout hardwood. The clamps blocks are thick aluminum plate. No comparison really. I use a Stellarvue TSL6 with the center pier with a DM6 and a 30# plus 8" Newtonian and it is extremely solid. Very nice tripods for the money.

Dave

#3 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

Yep, I agree totally. Either the Stable-lock or the TSL6 are much more stable for all the reasons Dave mentioned. BIG difference in the size of the legs in comparison to the Gibraltar.

John :refractor:

#4 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

Another vote for the Stablelock. Great tripod. The Gibraltar is a bit lighter and more easily portable, but as such doesn't have quite the load capacity.

That said, I rebuilt a Gibraltar using the head and replaced the legs with fixed length walnut/oak legs and an SV speader-locking assembly. This tripod performs extremely well on par with the Stablelock, but then it's also much heavier than the stock Gibraltar because of the much stouter legs.

Phil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics