Meade LXD75 scopes being discontinued?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

I was browsing a few vendors recently and saw that the line of Meade LXD75 telescopes is no longer being produced and will be discontinued when current inventories are sold out. Are they not selling very many scopes in this line? Seems that if Meade discontinues these scopes, they will mainly only be selling SCT's.

Bill

#2 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hadn't heard that one before, bummer. Hopefully they are coming out with something else perhaps with an equatorial mount. They still have the 10-16 LB's.

John

#3 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

Looks like they are out of production.

http://www.optcorp.c...d=1-600-603-572

http://www.astronomi...R6KJAUF5/Page/1

#4 PatHolland

PatHolland

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Clever, Missouri

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

I wish they sold the LXD scopes as OTA only. The mount is not one of the best. For those I know that have the OTA, they LOVE it and with a few minor adjustments, the scope can be just as good as an astrograph.

#5 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

I wish they sold the LXD scopes as OTA only. The mount is not one of the best. For those I know that have the OTA, they LOVE it and with a few minor adjustments, the scope can be just as good as an astrograph.

I agree... I own a LXD55 not the new improved LXD75 but I never use the darn thing...its not worth the frustration I get from it...

The (OTA AR-5 Refractor) however is just fine...

Bob G.

#6 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

Wow, that's too bad. I've been using LXD75's for the past 6 years and I love'm. I currently own two LXD75 mounts and four LXD55/75 OTA's. Oh well, I guess I'll eventually have to break down and get an Atlas. I'm in no hurry though.

#7 AstroBoy61

AstroBoy61

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Has Meade stopped producing replacement parts for this mount?

#8 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

I believe the LX-80 is Meade's intended replacement for the LXD-75.

The best part of a Meade LXD-55/75 was stripping off the electronics and putting them on a Vixen GP-DX mount.

#9 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

The quickest way to find out may be to call Meade customer service and see whether they still service the LXD75. As for individual parts, there are some suppliers on eBay that specialize in parting out scopes.

#10 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

This thread is 3 YEARS OLD!!!! The LXD75's went on sale back in 2010, and repair parts were in short supply even then. At this point, if you have a failure, unless you know someone who knows someone, or you have spares stashed away, you're living on borrowed time....

#11 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Well yeah, the same can be said for a lot of mounts. My oldest LXD75 is 8 years old and going strong. When it dies I may convert it into a non-GoTo tracking mount (just swap out the drive motor) and buy something new. None of this high tech gear is going to live forever.

And yes, this thread is old, but a new question about replacement parts was asked.

#12 nightowl

nightowl

Viking 1

• Loc: los angeles, ca, but my "real" home are the deserts of California where I do my viewing: Death Valley, the Mojave National Preserve, and Joshua Tree National Park.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

For those wanting to prolong their mounts for the LXD, you can find "hypertune" kits. I purchased them for my LXD55 and 75 mounts and they work like a charm. I alternate between the 55 and 75 mounts annually (this year I'm using my LXD 55 mount as last years the 75 mount was employed). That said, although I have the 6" LXD refractor, I prefer the images from the Omni XLT 120mm and 150mm... The lighter Celestrons don't tax the mount much. Sadly, my LXD55 6" is primarily gathering dust as my back prevents me from hauling the venerable but heavy scope around as much as I'd like to...

Clear skies,

Jack

#13 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

I see that Bresser (Meade Europe I think, i.e. JOC - Jinghua Optical Electronics Co., Ltd. - of China who also own Explore Scientific, and JOC made the LXD75 mount for Meade) are offering the Messier Exos 2 Goto mount which is it seems identical to the LXD75 ;-

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B005Y818KO

...it even has the AutoStar controller in the picture with Meade branding on it. However it is expensive at 558 GBP. Someone just bought one since last night they had 2 in stock. If I am honest I really should be going for a HEQ5 Synscan but I really like the AudioStar handset (which works with the LXD75 as well as the AutoStar does, so I am told) since it has spiral search, map reading light, red lettering on the screen (not bright orange background with black text on the Celestron / Synta mounts' handsets - I mean orange, same color as the light pollution - eeewwww what were they thinking? It makes me sick everytime I look at that handset display), Tour mode (otherwise I would have bought an Ioptron, but Ioptrons don't have a catalog tour / best of tonight's objects) and black buttons.

I find anything white to be distracting in the dark so if I get an LXD75 like I want to, I plan on covering it with black tape LOL or painting it later on with acrylic black so I can rub it off with alcohol if needed.

Regards,

Alistair G.

#14 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

I see that Bresser (Meade Europe I think, i.e. JOC - Jinghua Optical Electronics Co., Ltd. - of China who also own Explore Scientific, and JOC made the LXD75 mount for Meade) are offering the Exos 2 Goto mount which is it seems identical to the LXD75 ;-

The tripod in the photo looks like the one that Meade shipped with the first few LX75 mounts. It was pretty spindly, and Meade upgraded to a beefier one quickly.

#15 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

The tripod in the photo looks like the one that Meade shipped with the first few LX75 mounts. It was pretty spindly, and Meade upgraded to a beefier one quickly.

Hey that's a good point, I must check out what the diameter of the legs is on that thing. I had a look and I can't find the info. They don't tell you even in Bresser's catalog (German and English) ;-

http://www.google.co...source=web&a...

I need to find someone who has one of these Bresser mounts to ask them to measure it. If anyone knows someone with one, please let me know.

Regards,

Alistair G.

#16 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Found someone (russ.will) who recently bought a "Bresser AR-127L on EXOS 2 Goto" mount ;-

http://stargazerslou...-on-ebay/page-2

I'll try to have a word with the guy and find out what the diameter of the legs is on that mount.

Regards,

Alistair G.

#17 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

It looks like the LED screen on the Autostar in the ad has been photoshopped to hide the "Meade" at the top.

#18 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Apollo

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Gday George

Not so sure there, as Meade Europe are a world unto themselves, but still use the same Hbxs.
Maybe they rebrand em also???
When the new Meade ETX90 came out, we discovered the handboxes had firmware on them that wasnt released by Meade US. It had a new version which had added these new lower quality ETX90s and we only found the firmware on a Russian Meade site :-)
( The new ETX90s in this case have different ratios hence need their own model ID in the firmware, and the latest US firmwares dont contain it.)

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics