Draco Galaxies and a Globular

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

Perusing the sketching forum this afternoon made me want to post some of my latest pieces - it's been awhile since I've uploaded any sketches to CN. With my work and school it's been an unusually busy year. Last weekend, though, I was able to take my 150mm achromat under relatively dark skies (mag 5.5 to 6.0 at zenith) and enjoy some great targets.

First target: Globular M3 (NGC 5272). I caught this one early in the evening and showed some family members and friends. They were awed by learning that this hazy grey-ish ball is a concentration of thousands or hundreds of thousands of stars.

Posted Image

When I showed the visitors Saturn and the crescent Moon later in the evening, they were fully awe-struck. Saturn is always a stunner. People who never looked through a scope before tend to be shocked that they can see the rings and cloud bands on the planet. :)

After the company parted ways, I spent some time on dimmer targets lurking around Draco.

One of these was NGC 5866, sometimes called M102. I was surprised at how apparent the dark lane was with higher power (114x or greater).

Posted Image

My last venture for the evening, after trying for a couple of truly dim Draco galaxies - no go there - was the classic edge on NGC 5907. I was surprised at how utterly dim this target was, but its thin slice silhouette put on a great show.

Posted Image

I hope to get back to the darker sky location for some observing later this summer. Until then, I'll be enjoying the sketches here on CN!

- Jay
South Florida

#2 nitsky

nitsky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cologne,New jersey

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

:applause:Very nice work Jay! I particularly like M3. I'm a visual galaxy hunter myself, but after joining this forum, and seeing all the wonderful work being done with globulars, I'm itching to give them a try with my pencil. It would greatly extend my viewing oportunitys when the moon or sky isn't just right for galaxys, maybe G.C. may now be on the slate instead of a night off. So your' sketch realy has me chaffing at the bit, thankyou.
Clearskys, and many of them,
Dave

#3 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

it's been awhile since I've uploaded any sketches to CN

You should do that more often! This are fine sketches.

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

Jay,

:waytogo:, on your wonderful sketches :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#5 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

Nice sketches! I'm looking forward to catching a few more galaxies like these after the moon goes away later this month.

Clear Skies,
Brandon Doyle

#6 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

Great captures, Jay!

#7 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Many thanks, all!

Dave - I really enjoy sketching globulars. The mottling is particularly fun to illustrate, but can be challenging to get across, especially with respects to any "dark channels" or other details in the cluster.

Jef - Many thanks, I hope to sketch more often but my present schedule is pretty packed. Astronomy will need to be one of those things I enjoy on rare occasion for now. Ah well, in another few years I hope to have an observatory.

- Jay
South Florida

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

Jay,

Excellent to see these fine deep sky sketches from you.
There is nothing else that is quite as satisfying as sketching and observing.
I know you agree.

Frank :)

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

Jay,

Excellent observations of M3, M102, and NGC 5907. You have captured all three objects very nicely. I will have to review these objects soon. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#10 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Many thanks, Frank and Carlos. I agree - a good sketch is one of the most rewarding things for me with astronomy. It becomes a permanent record of an evening under the starry skies.

- Jay
South Florida

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

You did terrific work in capturing the texture of M3. All are well executed and well presented.

Pete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics