• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

I am using an old HP laptop to run my Sirius Mount (pretty much the same as the atlas, a little lighter though.) It works very well though there is a pretty steep learning curve.

#52 JoLo

JoLo

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Highland, IL

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

I ordered a new Atlas yesterday (5/18) and it shipped last night. My UPS notification says I will receive it on Tuesday, 5/24.

#53 Yannis

Yannis

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

If you have managed to start it with a hand controller, even if you unplug it or it dies, the mount will continue tracking. It just needs to receive the "Unpark" command.

But there must be the controllers (did not find any sold separately) that come with the "Syntrek" version that there are just 4 buttons for direction and a couple to select track rate. You may find one of those second hand.

#54 dgpilot

dgpilot

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, California

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

When I got my atlas a month ago it was clear that it was a hot item, always sold out. I waited about 3 weeks for mine. It's clear that Orion would have no intention on stopping production on these, that would be a terrible business decision

#55 Al Miller

Al Miller

Apollo

• Loc: South, Texas

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Good to hear it's not going away anytime soon. You folks who have one on the way will love it!

#56 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

Phxbird,

Are you using your "big gun" on the Sirius?

#57 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

So I guess Aunt Marge isn't having an affair after all.

#58 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

• Loc: Northeast, PA U.S.A

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

From the looks of this thread it seems Atlas sales are strong to very strong. I'd say a little Q1 dry up in supply from China always happens as well (new year, workers traveling etc). Glad I got one a few years ago, seems like the most reliable mount in its price class out there.

That being said I'm using my mini tower more than my Atlas, its simply easier to pick it up and move outside, totally assembled, with a 4" refractor attached, using batteries. Coupled with an astro-video camera, my Atlas is collecting dust!

#59 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

When I got my atlas a month ago it was clear that it was a hot item, always sold out. I waited about 3 weeks for mine. It's clear that Orion would have no intention on stopping production on these, that would be a terrible business decision

Well, it's not their production to stop. This is the same mount as the EQ-6 and is made by Synta. Orion is the dealer.

#60 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

Of course. However, does Synelestron make more on a Skywatcher/CGEM sold under a house brand, or on a unit that is resold by a dealer? The dealer takes some of the manufacturer's margin, or else the dealer wouldn't be dealing. :grin:

I'm thinking I'll buy, test, and then shelve an Atlas, just in case. It'd be nice to have a "known-good" back up Atlas ready for the sad day when the tired old one calls it quits.

Regards,

Jim

#61 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

I'm thinking I'll buy, test, and then shelve an Atlas, just in case. It'd be nice to have a "known-good" back up Atlas ready for the sad day when the tired old one calls it quits.

Regards,

Jim

Good idea.

And what? No new sig line yet? I'm jonesing here Jim! :help: :roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics