G11/G2 Finally Arrived

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

I'm now in possession of a Losmandy G11/G2 and I'm impressed, very impressed. I can see why it costs as much as it does. The G11 is one substantial, solid, hefty, mount. It's extremely well made. Wow! I'm surprised the manufacture only claims 60lbs weight limit, it looks like it could easily handle 100lbs or perhaps 60lbs for imaging.

Now the learning starts.

#2 JSeay86

JSeay86

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

Those were exactly my thoughts upon receiving mine last week. As you probably already know, as of now only a 1 star alignment works through the web interface. Get connected to the web interface and familiarize yourself with the HC, menus, etc.

I really like the web interface and the HC layout. Also I must say that the mechanics of the G11 have exceeded my expectations. We'll see how that translates to PE, as I'll hopefully be testing the out of the box PE when I get a chance.

Hope you enjoy the mount! Now we anxiously await a firmware update!

#3 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

Congrats and dito to what Jared said.

#4 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Wow! I'm surprised the manufacture only claims 60lbs weight limit, it looks like it could easily handle 100lbs or perhaps 60lbs for imaging.

Now the learning starts.

Congrats on the new mount.

Take it from me - you stick 60lbs of (particularly long moment arm) payload on your G11 and it'll be a bad lesson, for sure..,

Clouds rolling in, I presume :grin:

Regards,

skybsd

#5 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

Wow! I'm surprised the manufacture only claims 60lbs weight limit, it looks like it could easily handle 100lbs or perhaps 60lbs for imaging.

Now the learning starts.

Take it from me - you stick 60lbs of (particularly long moment arm) payload on your G11 and it'll be a bad lesson, for sure..,

Regards,

skybsd

skybsd, could you elaborate on the "bad lesson" statement?

Yes, the clouds are moving in.... :lol:

Thanks

#6 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

Now the learning starts.

Regards,

skybsd

Thanks

No big secrets there..,

G11's are well known to be intolerable imbalances and the resulting motor and gearbox problems. The risk increases as payload increases, and is more dramatic where a long moment arm is introduced alongside increased payloads.

The G11 specifications sheet is there for a reason - its best to heed it during use.

I briefly ran ~52 lbs of equipment + 63lbs of counterweight on my fmr G11-Gemini - you could see and hear the difference when slewing during GoTo operations - not to mention increased instances of "Motor Stalled" and "Motor Lag" messages on the hand controller as well as unduly "warm" motors.

Drop the payload down to ~ 37lbs - dramatic improvement.

Regards,

skybsd

#7 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

Most mounts CG5, CGEM, CGE from my experience with those I listed will not tolerate imbalance or overload. Some may not seem to protest but will just suddenly stop with no warning. :bawling:

#8 saadabbasi

saadabbasi

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 29N

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

I agree with skybsd. Don't overmount and stick with the specs. Once you've balanced your scope in DEC and RA, put down some markers so that you don't to balance everytime you set stuff up. Check how warm the motors are anyway - I always do this. If they are unusually warm, recheck your balance. If balance seems ok, your worm might be too tight.

#9 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Now the learning starts.

Regards,

skybsd

Thanks

No big secrets there..,

G11's are well known to be intolerable imbalances and the resulting motor and gearbox problems. The risk increases as payload increases, and is more dramatic where a long moment arm is introduced alongside increased payloads.

The G11 specifications sheet is there for a reason - its best to heed it during use.

I briefly ran ~52 lbs of equipment + 63lbs of counterweight on my fmr G11-Gemini - you could see and hear the difference when slewing during GoTo operations - not to mention increased instances of "Motor Stalled" and "Motor Lag" messages on the hand controller as well as unduly "warm" motors.

Drop the payload down to ~ 37lbs - dramatic improvement.

Regards,

skybsd

Fully loaded with imaging gear it will be just under 40lbs, with 32lbs of counter weight. Is that within a safe range?

Also what do you mean by a " long moment arm"?

#10 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

Long tube assemblies, like long focal length refractors, put more stress on a mount than a short, stubby SCT.

#11 asesino

asesino

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Air strip one, Oceania

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

congratulations on the new mount, mine will arrive middle of july according to store clerk, can't wait.

#12 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

Fully loaded with imaging gear it will be just under 40lbs, with 32lbs of counter weight. Is that within a safe range?

Bart, you will be fine with that. The mount is rated for 100lbs. including the counterweights.

#13 bradisback

bradisback

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:07 AM

Congratulations
And welcome in the small family owners of G11G2.
One more person to make returns on the Yahoo group ;)

Stef

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics