Centaurus A and Omega Centauri

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:25 PM

One of my first objectives when observing at the Midsouth Stargaze was to look at these two objects that I cannot see in Virginia. They are on a single observing sheet on the blog (address listed below) in addition to a story.

Neither object is hard to find but they are sure nice to visit over and over. In this case, I was using a Hyperstar on a C8, which permits nice views at f/2.

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:25 AM

Roland,

Nice sketches. I'm still waiting for the clear moonless transparent skies I need for my annual look at OC and Centaurus A (at culmination, 4° and 9° above my horizon respectively). It may never happen for me this year so thanks for the view. :)

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

Roland,

Two southern delights for spring that require a trip southward for a view like you captured in these sketches. Very nice sketching.

Frank :)

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

Both are really nice, and there are a host of others "down there" that my Aussie acquaintances show me once in a while when they broadcast on NSN. They are very tantalizing but I just cannot get them. Even these two could be gotten but they, like Michael says, sit flat on the horizon for all practical purposes. But for those, you folks ought to try Night Skies Network. You don't have to be broadcasting to watch...and sketch astro video delivered live to your screen to study. Often, you can get someone to hang on an object for enought time to grab it on a sheet of paper.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics