35 replies to this topic

#26 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

The problem is "with driver installed"...as far as I know, there is no way to install drivers on an iPad. When I first bought the SkyWire, I rigged up a Serial-USB adapter, but got connection errors between the scope and the iPad through the SkyWire. If there is a Serial-USB adapter out there that does not require drivers it might just do the trick, but I haven't found one yet (Southern Stars and StellarCat couldn't recommend one either). I'll gladly bestow the honorary position of "Chief of IT for Teeter's Telescopes" on someone if they can find such an adapter. :bow:

Take care,

#27 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

This sounds wicked cool, and would be huge for outreaches here at my WSO observatory, especially for the kids...

But, I don't have an iPhone, or iPod touch... or iPad...

I'm a BlackBerry guy, and have the new BlackBerry Playbook... so I'm out of luck...

hmmm maybe a "dedicated" iPOD touch is in order... :question:

#28 denodan

denodan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

I got Skyfi, and works well, the great thing is no wires, so I could run my scope from inside my house, if I had a wireless electronic eyepiece.

I have an ipad 2, and an ipod touch 4th gen, but I prefer the ipad, the much larger screen is so much easier to use.

I do find the slew slider on the telescope control panel does not work to well, so use my hand controller to make the fine adjustments slewing my scope.

Does anyone know the difference between Skysafari, and Starseeker? They look the same.

#29 EricRemy

EricRemy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

But, I don't have an iPhone, or iPod touch... or iPad...

I'm a BlackBerry guy, and have the new BlackBerry Playbook... so I'm out of luck...

hmmm maybe a "dedicated" iPOD touch is in order... :question:

Same here. Almost regret buying it. Hardware is awsome but the developement of astronomy and other apps is not happening. Thinking of selling it and getting an ipad instead. :(

#30 EricRemy

EricRemy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Does anyone know the difference between Skysafari, and Starseeker? They look the same.

They are the same. It's Orion's rebadged Skysafari. Read about it on the app store.

#31 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

My wife and I both got iPads for Christmas this year... I am now all set and ready to go with Skysafari and sky wire, just waiting on a clear night! :lol:

#32 Kriky

Kriky

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

I have a Orion SkyQuest XT10i IntelliScope. Is there anyone that can confirm if the Skywire/Skysafari will work with the Intelliscope system?

I know it says that "push-to" telescopes will work but I was hoping someone can confirm this before I spent the money on the cable. I know I need to get an adapter to connect the intelliscope to PC serial (I was told it can be bought at Radio Shack) which then connects to the Skywire or SkyWifi.

I thought I would start here to see if anyone has it up and running with the intelliscope.

Thanks
Kriky

#33 Reid W

Reid W

Vostok 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

I'm thinking that you'll need the Orion Intelliscope to PC RS232 Connector Cable.

I use SkyFi/Starseek with my Argo Navis. I have a dedicated RS232 adapter for the AN. For the push-to units to work with Safari, they need to have the ability to show direction arrows when in catalog from external source; such as planetarium mode on the Argo Navis. I cannot find that info on the intelliscope. Orion would know.

#34 michalh

michalh

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest, USA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

I've had SkySafari and SkyWire for several months, using my Ipod Touch. The only question I have is when will the big boys port their planetarium programs to WiFi? Seems like all the folks out there appreciate wireless connections (haven't tripped over my WiFi yet :-). Astroplanner on my MacBook Pro also works using the SkyWire connection.

#35 Jason Martin

Jason Martin

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

It might have been addressed, but I don't know about fixed. I just received my starseek unit early last week and was excited to use it for our club's monthly public outreach star party. Using a first generation Ipad and an lx90 with the newest version of skysafari pro, it lost connect twice in a row when the Ipad went to sleep, and refused to reconnect without a complete restart and resync with the wifi signal. I got frustrated and just used the autostar control for the remainder of the evening and have yet to try further troubleshooting. Grrrrrr

#36 denodan

denodan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

Sky fi and Skysafari now work on Android phones, so no need now for and ipad/iphone, or touch.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics